Outdoor cat run - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Outdoor cat run

Toby is very keen on going outside but of course he can't go anywhere unsupervised. Taming the leash monster didnt really work - but i came across a 'cat run' just now. I didn't know there were such things.

They seem quite expensive to buy but has anyone here made one? What kind of material might I need - chicken wire I guess and wood. Are they easy to put up?

All comments appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Premier Cat

Husband built one for our home in California that was 8'x8'x4' tall. We attached it to a North window. The only problem was it let flies in. :-/ Anyhow, it was built with wood, chicken wire and a staple gun.

Currently, we were given a 'dog crate'. It is heavy welded/wire and about 4'x6' and 5' tall. Reilly spent the most time out there. Probably only a few of our cats would enjoy spending time out there. I think they would prefer a cage attached to the house so they could enter/exit at their whim.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Banned

Ive been researching cat flaps and there are ones you can just open the window and insert, no DIY skills necessary. Then you could build an enclosure like Heidi described and the cat flap would help to keep out bugs (I think.) And when you don't want the cat flap anymore you just take it out and you've got your window back in original condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Jr. Cat

Oooh, another thing to think about next year, Melysion, not to hijack your thread, but you'll have to tell me sometime how you manage to keep Toby indoors with no screens on windows. Have you installed some or does your house have them?

I like the idea of installing a cat flap and attaching an enclosure. We had an enclosed porch when we lived in TN and it worked well for the cats to get fresh air and be outside. We just had a cat flap installed so they could go in and out as they please. What about screening instead of chicken wire if bugs are a concern?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Banned

Regular nylon screen can be easily shredded by a cat. Be sure to use aluminum mesh, or better yet, there's an extra-heavy duty mesh called, sensibly enough, "Pet Screen"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Tom Cat

The heavy duty screen where I live is called "Pet Defense". Very heavy duty. I posted pics before about how Coco likes to jump on the sliding screen door and hang from it.

The screen material was aluminum, but he managed to tear that. So far, with the pet defense screen, NO TEARS!! It has been on the door for a couple of years now and it still looks new.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND skipping the aluminum and going straight for the heavy duty pet stuff. It comes on a roll and will need to be cut to size, but if you have ever replaced screening, you know it isn't too hard.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Banned

That photo would make a great entry in the next "cats in nature" photo contest. Well, close enough, almost "in" anyway.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 09:27 PM

I know you are in the UK but before I purchased the cat walking jacket, I was very interested in something like this. I wonder how much it would cost to ship? http://www.kittywalk.com/

Just thought you would be interested in seeing this!

Christina
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiandchris
I know you are in the UK but before I purchased the cat walking jacket, I was very interested in something like this. I wonder how much it would cost to ship? http://www.kittywalk.com/

Just thought you would be interested in seeing this!

Christina
Wow. that looks good. Defininately something to consider.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Looks like I have a number of options.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett516
Oooh, another thing to think about next year, Melysion, not to hijack your thread, but you'll have to tell me sometime how you manage to keep Toby indoors with no screens on windows. Have you installed some or does your house have them?

I like the idea of installing a cat flap and attaching an enclosure. We had an enclosed porch when we lived in TN and it worked well for the cats to get fresh air and be outside. We just had a cat flap installed so they could go in and out as they please. What about screening instead of chicken wire if bugs are a concern?
. The quick answer is - with some difficulty. Toby is quite a houdini. Its quite a serious issue too as Toby simply cant go out unsupervised. We need eyes at the back of our heads here.

We dont have screens in the UK. To be perfectly honest I don't even know what they are! . We have 'tilting' windows here - well at least I do - which seem to be quite different to US windows.

Have a look at this - something I'm considering:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/c...otection/29950

As regards to bugs - dont think they are that much of a concern. Might get the odd fly in but thats about it. A nice sticky fly catcher (or a hungry Toby - a fate that befell the last fly foolish enough to enter our flat about a week ago ) should take care of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page