UPDATE in post 1-- Have you regretted/not regretted - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat

UPDATE in post 1-- Have you regretted/not regretted

UPDATE: Little Foot was adopted!! YAY!!!!

When we went from 2 cat to a 3 cat household (which my husband wasn't all that thrilled with!) I spent about 3 months looking for just the right cat. I wanted one that loved to be with us, would not be skittish around my children (especially the toddler!), and would get along with our other cats. (Cat also had to be declawed previously as I won't declaw again and DH inisists on it, so it is our compromise.) Anyway, after a lot of searching, we got just the right cat, Mango, from a local rescue. He has really brought so much joy to all of our lives in just a short time!

Anyway, in my searching (online) I would always see another cat, Little Foot. Personality-wise, he was described as shy and wanting love, but always staying in the background, not quite knowing how to get attention. I figured my busy household might freak him out too much, so I did not even meet him.

Well, we absolutely cannot get a fourth cat (for many reasons, inc. upsetting the balance of cats we already have), but I have wondered off an on if I made a mistake in not getting the other cat instead of Mango. Mango is a lot younger (he was 8 months when we adopted him) and lived with a great foster family. This other cat (Little Foot) is already 4 years old and living in a no-kill shelter. Chances were higher for Mango that he'd get adopted sooner. Little Foot-- who knows. Maybe he'll be a permanent resident.

I check regularly to see if SOMEONE has adopted Little Foot yet, and nope. He's still there, waiting for someone to love and pamper him.

Sigh. Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Cat Addict

Nope! Thats why I try to stay away from the shelter any more. Every sad case that I'd seen there, has ended up here....the one with 3 legs, the deaf one, the little tuxie that was the deaf one's ears, the black thug that nobody wanted......
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

I never intended to keep Cinderella, I was just getting her out of a horrible situation. After one night, she was part of my heart and soul.

I was very misled about Cleo, and she's not the cat that was "advertised." That said, she's here to stay.

She has attachment issues and is skittish (from being passed around to friends' and relatives' homes while her owner was traveling, including living with a two-year old child when I got her, which I'm sure is why she doesn't like her legs and feet being touched). She's getting better, but really only likes to be touched on her own terms. BUT, she falls asleep after about 10-15 minutes of kneading my face/neck/arm and has to have her paws on me to sleep.

I see cats advertised that I think might have been a better match for Cinderella, but who knows how they would actually be? I think Tim most recently said you never know until the get the cat home.

Cleo has the energy of a kitten, is absolutely fearless and makes me laugh every day. Plus, she follows me from room to room, even though she's not the "lap" cat I was told about. She'll lie by my feet or sit in the window while I'm on the computer and hang with me in my bedroom.

She's very patient with Cinderella, who hopefully will become friends with her eventually. They can both sleep on the bed with me, but Cinderella, understandably, considers me "hers."

I wouldn't keep second-guessing yourself about Little Foot. Cinderella was almost 4 when I got her, and Cleo is 1-1/2 years old. There are a lot of people who don't want a kitten (even though everyone knows how many I fall in love with).

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
There are a lot of people who don't want a kitten
Yeah-- I was one of them! I wanted a cat at LEAST a year old, but 3+ years would have been more what I was aiming for. (I also was looking for a female with longer hair, and Mango is a DSH male! )
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

I was told Cinderella was 2 years old, but the idiot handed over her medical records, and when I got home I found out she was almost 4! Not really a big deal, but why lie if you're going to give me her registered papers?

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:56 PM
Cat Addict

I was going to adopt a cat a few weeks ago. I decided not to do it, only to find out he died in that pi$$ poor excuse for a rescue a few weeks later. I keep thinking I might have saved him. I have never regretted adopting a cat. I get attached and there is just no questions they were meant to be mine.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobster
I was going to adopt a cat a few weeks ago. I decided not to do it, only to find out he died in that pi$$ poor excuse for a rescue a few weeks later.
Well, keep in mind he may have had something he could have passed to your other cats. But that's so sad.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Premier Cat

All of our cats manage to find us, we don't go looking for them!

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 12:20 AM
Tom Cat

I have never regretted getting a pet. With Pouncer, I did ask why her. After loving her SO much and losing her 9 months later, I asked why did God let me choose HER when I was just going to lose her. My husband says it's because God knew I would love her and care for her till the end. With Chloe, even though I couldn't bond with her (though I am starting to now) I never really regretted getting her. I know it was too soon for me to adopt another, but I don't regret getting HER.

I do, however, feel bad about not getting a little gray kitty I saw. When I took her into the room to play with her, she was SO bony. I could feel every bump in her spine. This completely freaked me out! I had flashbacks of Pouncer and the FIP. Even though they told me she was a stray that had just arrived, and simply needed nourishment, I passed. I saw her a couple weeks later and she was a little better, but still kinda bony. So I adopted Chloe instead. I just checked the site and that adorable gray kitty is still there. I feel guilty for that.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

Kobi was a spur of the moment adoption...he was there, I fell in love, and he went home with me. At first it was fine, but then Callie got sick and he picked on her unmercifully. It's instinctive for cats to try and weed out the sick, some are much more aggressive about it than others. I ended up having to keep them 100% separated for about 6 months. He also got into it with Maggie a couple years ago and I had to go through an entire re-introduction process with them. This happened at the same time Callie got sick. So yeah, there for a while, I was really regretting having brought him home. I seriously considered having to give him up.

But things are so much better now. Holly was the best thing I could have done. Her personality is a perfect fit and he has calmed down immensely. She's been a great influence on him.

As for regretting pass up a cat...not one in specific, but I always regret that I can't bring home all the cats in the shelter.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page