Need new home for Cooper - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Need new home for Cooper

Well, sadly, I have to find a new home for Cooper, my sweet kitty. My apartment complex is instituting a new "no cat" policy and I am locked into a lease until August 2008. If anyone on here would like Cooper or knows of a good, inside only home for him, please let me know. I live in Bloomington Indiana and could travel a little ways to find him a new place. He is a light buff color, 2 years old, neutered, up to date on shots and front declawed. He loves other cats and, once adjusted, plays well with dogs.

Thanks.

(PS--Cylie, the other cat in my sig line has recently been diagnosed with bladder cancer--the vets think she only has 4-6 weeks left--please keep her in your thoughts.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Premier Cat

I am so sorry you are going through this all with your babies. Can they change the provisions of your lease without breaking the lease itself?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, yes they can change the lease. I also thought that they couldn't. but it clearly states that they can "alter the provisions of the lease pertaining to parking allocation, use of complex facilities, pets," and more. I was shocked! The new terms do not go into effect until August, so I am REALLY hoping that I can find Cooper a wonderful new home. I was hoping the my mom would take him--Cooper LOVES my mom's cat, but my mom already has two cats and refuses to take a third.

I pray I can find him a good home--he is such a swet cat and deserves a long happy life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Cat Addict

If it is in your lease that you are allowed to have pets, they legally have to honor that until your lease is up. If the cat is on your lease and they tell you that you have to get rid of him just because they want to institute a no pet policy, is it considered a breach of the lease, which means that you can move out without any penalty to you.

Talk to someone in the housing division of your city government. Many cities also have resources for tenents and their rights. Don't be afraid to talk to them- most will jump at the opportunity to stick it to a landlord that is doing something illegal.

I am also very sorry to hear about Cylie. I hope her last few weeks are peaceful and filled with lots of love.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 10:58 AM

It's very unfortunate that they can change your lease like that Are any of your neighbors in the same situation?

Anyway, I'm sorry you're going through this with your two kitties. I wish you the best of luck in finding a good home for Cooper - he looks like a very sweet little guy.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Cat Addict

oh wow, it really sucks that they can do something like that...

I guess thats a really good reminder to read all the fine print I know I will be that much more careful when I sign my next lease. It sucks that they can get away with that.

Is there any way that you can find someone to take over your lease?
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

I am not allowed to sublet--that is in the lease as well. I am so screwed!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Cat Addict

have you talked to a housing/tenent counselor or authority? it may seem like you're out of options but they may be able to find a loophole.
What about sitting down and having a polite talk with the landlords? maybe they'd be willing to work with you if you can do the same for them?

I know if I were in your situation, I wouldn't quit until I know I've exausted all of my options- twice.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Nell for the advice, but I have contacted Housing Authority and also talked to my complex several times. I have known about this change since April and believe me, I would not resort to finding Cooper a new home until I had NO other options. It is getting to the point that I have to start trying to find him a new home so that come August, I don't have to resort to a shelter.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry to hear about both situations. It sounds like you're doing everything you can. I bet you'll find Cooper a really great home with the time you've got until August, and I really feel for you with Cylie's illness.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page