collars - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

collars

I am looking into buying a breakaway collar. As my kitten is in the midst her crazy kitten,into everything stage and i just do not want her to wander outside accidentally, without identification. She is strictly going to be an indoor cat, but it is "just in case"

Now onto the question. Right now she is 4 1/2 almost 5 pounds. My only concern is the the collar would not breakaway w/ that small amount of weight. Does anyone know what weight a collar would breakaway?

I'm am looking into getting one like this :

Lauren&

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Jr. Cat

I'm not sure what weight or pressure it wold break away under, but Chloƫ has a Safe Cat collar and it works for her.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I also found this type, its a safety stretch collar. So its stretches so the cat could get its head out of it.

Lauren&

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Tom Cat

Personally, I don't like the idea of the stretch collars. I'm too afraid they would get themselves in a position where they couldn't get their head out. Like maybe jumping a fence and it snags and hangs them. I'm extremely overprotective though. I would recommend going to a store and try opening the different collars. When I was getting Chloe's I tried a couple that were hard for me to pull open. I kept trying them until I found a brand that broke open easily. I can't remember the name of the brand though, so I'm not much help.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I always had breakaway collars on Addison, but never had a situation where they broke. He did get one collar stuck in his mouth for probably close to 24 hours before I found him under the bed (and trust me, I almost died when I realized what happened - I felt so bad!) and think it was the type that had the little elastic strings connecting two parts of the collar. I don't know if a different type of collar would make a big difference for something like that though...

I think getting her used to a collar at this age is best. I know of plenty of cats who keep "losing" collars, and I can only assume they break off. But the few I've taken off the cats at work do seem to require a good bit of force to get them apart.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 11:33 PM

I got this for the girls, about a month ago:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Soft-Fleece-Collar- ... dZViewItem

I am very satisfied with them, they are very soft and don't damage their fur, they don't break open at the slightest pressure but would with a serious pull. They are just wide enough so you slide one of those rectangular tags on them, which is really convenient. My cats are about 5.5-6lbs now, but were much smaller when I got the collars, and it worked out well for them.

If you have the chance to check out and try a bunch of different collars at your pet store, it would be even easier!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:23 AM
Cat Addict

I use the collars like the ones in your first post.
I was also a bit worried when Cheddar was about that size that it wouldn't break open easy enough, so what I did was to file the little plastic tabs (the ones that catch and hold it shut) down little by little until it broke away at just the right pressure.
I used a nail file to do it, and it was more a matter of rounding out the corners a little instead of actually filing it away.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 03:33 AM

http://www.fantasycollars.com/coolcat.htm

Check these out. They are velcro. I think out of all the collars I have used I liked this type best as far as safety purposes. I had one for Lamar and it wore out pretty quickly and didn't hold up to well to Mateo biting and clawing at it while it was on
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

thanks so much everyone Those fleece collars look really comfy. The Velcro ones remind me of the breakaway cross ties i have for my horse But they look worth a try. I think i am going to go to petsmart and check out what they have.& try the safe cat. If those don't work i'll try out the fleece or velcro. thanks again

Oh and the funny thing is that my dad said "so, we should really get Kaia a collar, in case she gets out" and this is the man that my mom and i had to FORCE to let me have a kitten. Now he absolutely loves her! and gets a kick out of everything she does

Lauren&

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 10:02 AM

I would be scared to have a collar on my cats because they are so rambunctious (sp) plus, I have never tried putting a collar on my cats, i really have no reason to. I know that I would never be able to get one on Miss Chloe, i could probably get one on Willie and Buddy if i needed to but like I said, I have no reason to because they are strictly indoor kitties and they have never even tried to get out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page