Recovery from dental work - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Recovery from dental work

I'm sure this is just me being a worried Mom - but Cinderella's dental appointment is on a Monday. I know she's going to be groggy and a little out of it when I bring her home, but I don't know how long this lasts.

Should I change the appointment to a Friday so I can be with her on the weekend?

Thanks!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Premier Cat

I don't know if the anesthesia they use for dental work is the same as other things, but when we've had Rookie sedated she had almost no effects when we brought her home. They don't put them completely out; their eyes are open the whole time and they're just groggy enough not to bite the vet's hand off.

The first time we brought Rookie home after being sedated I did get alarmed. We noticed that one of her eyes was drooping, like she couldn't keep it open. The vet said it was likely a reaction to the goop they put in their eyes while they're sedated, because they have to keep their eyes lubricated since they won't be blinking for a while. That only happened that once, and hasn't happened since. It went away by itself within about a day.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Okay, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 05:39 PM

When Pebbles had her's done a few years ago, I don't remember her coming home groggy at all. Unless you see her being groggy and floppy, then I just watch her for abit, but I'm sure she'll be fine.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'm usually the one groggy and floppy in the morning.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Premier Cat

Little-one was pretty groggy when he came home but he had had an extraction.
I'm sure she'll be fine but, if it would make you feel better and you can do it, why not change the appt. to Friday? It may make it less stressful for you.

Victoria
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The reason I called my vet was to change it to Friday so I'd have the weekend with her, but when I explained why (stupid, stupid me!), they said she'd be fine. Of course, all she does is sleep while I'm at work, so Im sure she'll be okay. On the other hand, my new boss is on vacation that whole week, so if I don't feel comfortable leaving her on Tuesday morning, it'll be cool for me to take the day off.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:41 PM

Marie, my Cinder had a cleaning and 3 extractions a couple of years ago. I remember she wouldn't eat at all when I brought her home and later on that day she jumped up on my kitchen countertop and bumped her mouth on the dish drainer. She pulled back her head, tilted it to the side and opened her mouth wide open for about a full four seconds. It looked like a 'silent scream' to me. I totally freaked, grabbed her and took her to the vet immediately and told him that she was in PAIN!

My point is.........make sure the vet gives her a pain shot before he releases her and ask him to give you some pain pills "just in case".
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks, Judy. Pain meds to take home with me and for her to take before she leaves are included in the estimate they gave me. The tech was almost positive, although like she said, you never know until you really get in there, that she wouldn't need any extractions. But it's good to know I can take the next day off if I have to. Even if my new boss wasn't on vacation, he would let me.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Maggie was pretty groggy when I got her home, but boy was she hungry...they had told me not to feed her till the next morning because the anesthesia might make her vomit. But she was so demanding that when I saw she wasn't groggy anymore (around 9pm) I gave her a dab of wet food. When she kept that down for a half hour or so, I gave her a little more...until she consumed a normal sized meal portion. She didn't have any extractions so her mouth wasn't too sore.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page