Drontal prices - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Drontal prices

I went to the vet clinic today to get some Drontal to exorcise all the possible worm demons from the kitties. I got enough for my six, plus the stray tomcat, all of whom weigh enough to need 1 1/2 tabs each. GULP!!! I almost had to take out a mortgage to deworm the cats --- it was $61.25 for 7 cats!

Was that pretty exhorbitant? What does everyone else pay for Drontal? Guess I'd better web-shop. You know, I believe in doing business with my vets, but wow, if I can get it much cheaper, I'd be a fool to keep buying it there.

I'm going to try something new this time. I hate that the Drontal tabs are so huge and hard to swallow. Plus, the 1/2 tab is not only big, but has sharp edges. To say nothing of how bad it must taste. They HATE it. I've been saving the empty Cosequin capsules, as I mix the powder in Phmokey's food (the Cosequin is chicken/tuna flavored). So I crushed up each dose and and it just (barely) fits in a capsule. I hope that makes it much easier to dose the kitties.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Banned

It's $8.50 for one tablet at my vet. I don't know if there's a volume discount.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Just doesn't make sense. I can deworm a 1200 pound horse for $2.99.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 11:12 PM
Banned

Cats take finesse. Finesse is more expensive.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

The E.R. vet charged $16.99 for one tablet for Cleo. I'm sure my regular vet charges less, but probably not much.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Banned

This just goes to show the wildly varying charges from one vet to another when their cost must be very close to the same.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 12:48 PM

I will never again buy any meds from a vet that I can safely get online (and for which the dosage is simple): for five days of Panacur for a 4.5lbs kitten, I was charged $38, when I could have gotten the same thing online for the extravagant price of $10!

I also spotted the CET cat chews for $17 a bag of 30, while you can get them online as low as $7!! I know they have to make a profit on what they sell, but they very rarely keep it reasonable
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
what's even worse is that I get a major discount on services at my vet but even *I* can find stuff cheaper in stores or online.

Now I love the discount (although I don't take advantage of it like most people and actually pay off my bill rather than paying $20 per paycheck on a $500-800 account ) but I know my options.

I do tons of comparison shopping. What prompted me to do so was that we have a ton of Gentle Leaders (a head halter for dogs) on the shelf. I decided to try one so I bought on at work. Even with my discount it was like $25 or so... we charge clinets like $40! I saw them on the shelves of petsmart for like $15 a few weeks later.

If I know clients can get something cheaper elsewhere (the biggest seller for me is the Gentle Leader for obvious reasons) I'll let them know where to go. I don't feel guilty about it anymore either.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 06:07 PM

As for the icky pills for cats, with some meds you can crush the tablet with the flat part of a chef's knife and put the powder into food, like tuna. I don't know if this particular med can be done that way.

As for other medications at the vet, our vet is very good about telling us if things are available at a human pharmacy, where it can be a lot cheaper. For example, it would be $25 to fill a 90 pill prescription for my dog's kidney medication at my vet, but it is also a human drug. I get the same 90 pills at the pharmacy for $12, since it falls under the $4 prescription plan for 30 pills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page