whoa...! help a newbie out - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

whoa...! help a newbie out

Most of you don't know me, but I posted a few things in Behavior awhile ago, and I thought I'd make my way over here. Tomorrow we're moving while work is being done to the house (ha..and here I am typing on the computer while bf does all the work) and it seems everything is going wrong. Someone let one of my babies out today (didn't even know people would be coming in or out or I would have kept them in the bedroom). I found her at 10:30PM under a car, being swatted and howled at by 2 much larger cats. Shes spayed and has all of her shots, but she's not been outside since we found her on the street as a kitten. My questions are:
1. Should I look out for anything specific that could mean she's hurt? She's already peed, eaten, had lots of water, and a semi-bath. Is playing now.
2. Does anyone know how to get car grease off of kitty fur, and anything I can do to prevent her from ingesting the grease on her back? I gave her a bath with mild pet soap, but the grease isn't coming off.
3. Do you think she's going to want to go outside now that this happened? She seemed really happy to be back...so I hope not. Any tips on deterring cats from the door?
Hopefully it will all be fine, I'm so happy I have a place to ask these questions.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

I'm so glad you found her.

Dawn dishwashing liquid will get the grease off. Rescuers use it to remove oil from birds caught in oil slicks.

I don't really have any answers for your other questions, and it's kind of late, so you may not get many answers until the morning. (Just your luck to get me, sorry!) That said, I would think if she's not paying any special attention to any part of her body (licking, limping), then she may have only been terribly scared, and that alone may make her want to stay indoors.

She sounds like she recovered faster than most cats would have, probably because she's young and happy to be safe and back with you.

P.S. Being on line while BF does the work - priceless!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response..hehe, I keep checking to see if anyone's written something. I'll try the Dawn.. stinks that this is how our last night is going..Maybe she just wanted to move today instead of tomorrow. She keeps bringing me her fuzzy balls at lightning speed and dashing across the stair railings, so I guess she's fine!

Luckily we'll be in our temporary house starting tomorrow and no one will be able to let her out..And I'm so pleased the cats are coming with us, cause they WERE going to have to stay with a friend for the next 8 weeks..I couldn't bear it. Anyway, I hear bike parts falling down the stairs..guess bf *might* need a hand.

-Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, she sounds like she's doing great. I remember something about a choice between staying with friends with a dog, or having your cats staying with friends without you.

I'm glad you're moving into a temporary place with your cats.

When I moved, I put my kitty in the bathroom, which I hated doing, at the very beginning of the move, and the last "item" I brought into the car was Cinderella. Then I put her in the bathroom in the new place until the movers were completely done. She was not happy, but she was safe.

I hope your move goes well.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 02:26 AM

Well, my experience has been that whenever one of my kits had a bad outdoor experience they were extremely adverse to ever going out again, and it they did they definately stuck close to home and the door they went out of.

My Lucy had a bad experience of being attacked by a neighbor's cat when she was very young and even today, although she's almost 17 yrs old now, she gets hysterical if I let her out to eat some grass and I don't leave the door open for her so she can run back in "just in case" there's some bad boy out there. She has NEVER forgotten that trama.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 02:56 AM

I have another tale to tell. A year ago my Mimi was viciously attacked by a feral that almost killed her. She went missing for a whole night and only came home the next day all bloodied and torn up. She spent 3 days in the vet hospital. She stayed in the house for a few weeks and then her wanderlust took over and she wanted out.........badly. With much trepidation I let her out and was glad to see that she stuck around my back porch and never wandered further than her own yard (I keep a steely eye out for her all the time). She used to be quite a "bum", always wandering all over the entire block..........no more, thank God. I only let her out during the day so I can keep an eye out for her for where's she's at and NEVER at night.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Jr. Cat

Sometimes when cats fight they may get a small bite or scratch that is hardly noticable but can get infected. When my guys get into a fight I always check them over for a few days after looking for scabs I usually do this by feel.I have had so many experiences with abcesses I always try to catch them right away.I don't want to scare you she is most likley fine.

Marie
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

We're in the temporary place, and both Frankie and Maki (last night's outdoor victim) are exploring the new territory.I wonder if its possible that the cats *like* the adventure of a new house. They don't seem to freak out like others.
Frankie does follow me around when we're in a new space, but both seem to be happy to have lots of new things to check out and rule over. And maybe we won't have to worry about Maki getting out as much, since she has new indoor things to do. Thanks for last night's help, I'm excited to get in the rest of the cat chat action.
-Shannon
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad you're all moved in. Isn't that a relief? Cinderella was a little uneasy at first because all her familiar places were gone, but cats do love exploring new places.

You said you have Maki a "half-bath" so hopefully if she got scratched, it was cleaned. Did you get the grease off of her?

When you get a little more settled, we'd love to see pictures.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Hey Marie,
Yes I did get the grease off of her. Your idea seemed to do the trick. She loves water, so she thought it was fun. Have any of you ever seen a cat who *enjoys* getting under the faucet, literally? Ha!

I'll post pictures as soon as I can get my digital camera to work, should I do that in Meet My Kitty?

Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page