Cats and Dogs... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Cats and Dogs...

Well were watching a friends shitzu for the weekend and Dusty is terrified of her. She clawed me up pretty good trying to get away even though I was holding her well away from the dog. I put her in the bedroom with me and closed the door and she just sat on the opposite side of the room and stared at the door. Once I took her downstairs with me and closed the door she was fine running around like normal but when shes near the dog she has to keep an eye on it, hissing and almost growling at the puppy.

We really want to get a small dog but im now worried about how dusty may react to having one. Is this normal? when she sees the neighbors lab she wants to attack it, but the tiny shitzu she seems deathly afraid of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

It really depends on the cat, and the dog. The kitty I adopted last year HATED Cinderella and I ended up rehoming her. At Keesha's new home, the woman has her son every other week, and her son brings his collie-sized dog with him. They hit it off right away. I figured it was because the dog was so much bigger. But then my friend doggie-sat a little dog the same size as Keesha for two weeks, and they were sleeping together on her son's bed the first night!

So it could just be THIS dog that Dusty hates. It's so hard to tell. Sorry, this isn't much help.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
If your cat has never been around dogs, then it only seems normal she would not like the Shih Tzu. Her home is her owrld, and all was well until suddenly this fast-moving creature that makes strange sounds is there. Every new kitten we brough into the house, the other cats would hiss at, howl at, etc. Eventually, most ended up getting along okay.

Make sure your kitty feels safe and has her own attention when the Shih Tzu is put away. Eventually, she'll probably at least get used to it, possibly never like it though. Every new kitten or cat we brought in the house would hiss and spit, and often be terrified of our chowish mutt, but now most just looove her, love to rub on her, etc. She, on the other hand, not so happy about that, though she deals.

Give it time, and when the time comes to get your dog, make sure the introductions go slowly and carefully, and that the dog knows its place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Cat

Molly was terrified of Jake when she met him for the first time, but it's understandable. If I was Molly's size, I'd be terrified of Jake too, lol! But Molly warmed up to him really quickly once she realized how harmless he was. For example, one night I was holding her in my lap while I was watching TV, and Jake was going nuts because he wanted to interact with this new kitty but he couldn't reach her, so he just kept racing in circles around the chair. Every time his tail would wag and sort of sweep Molly's face as he raced by, Molly would puff right up and act really spooked, but I just kept petting her and by the 3rd cycle around the chair, she couldn't care less. But Molly's just that way, she's a quick learner, and now she loves Jake and will reach out a paw to wack his face as he goes by her (when she's "hidden" on a chair under a table or something).

Buffy and Willow, though, are another story. Willow used to be fine with Jake, where she would let him sniff her butt and she couldn't care less (she basically didn't care for Jake, but she didn't hate him), but one day she had a little mishap that spooked both her and Jake (Jake had been snoozing when she fell and landed beside him) and it resulted in a chase. Willow has hated him ever since, though it's more fear than actual hate. Buffy hated him from the first time she met him as a wee kitten, and her opinion hasn't changed in the following 4 years. She's no longer afraid, per se, she'll tease him and bug him (who knows why) and pout big tears when he follows her around the house, but she'll never ever let him touch her. If he sweeps his tail around and it touches her, she poofs up and hisses, looking around for the offending dog that dared touch her. Lately she's been warming up, in that she'll let him stand over her (an intimidating stance at her height, lol) without fluffing up, but she obviously doesn't like it.

Just give your kitty time and don't rush anything. Do whatever you can to ease the kitty's comfort, even if it means keeping the dog on a leash at all times, until you know the kitty is warming up to the dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page