Emergency Help Needed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Emergency Help Needed

Hi folks.

Sorry to drop in unannounced. But a friend of mine's in a series situation.

About a week ago he discovered 5 newborn kittens in the trash near his apartment complex in Osaka, Japan. Obviously he has been trying to nurse them to health. Japan is not a very cat friendly country (they are viewed of as more of a problem than a pet).

My friend is so busy he asked me to post a few questions on the internet to find a good source of information. His wife (who is Japanese) has been getting help from her peers and they are doing their best with the kittens, inducing urination and defecation, feeding, etc. However, my friend is still a bit in the dark about what is the best course of action.

These are NEWBORNS. Most of their eyes are not open yet. One of them has already passed away (the runt). There are four left to care for. Apparently the eat, sleep, pee and poo like the best of them.

The most recent issues was puss in the eye of one. It has since drained and his eyes are open now, but my friend (Mike) doesn't know what is normal or what is abnormal.

What resources are available? Something we could sit down and read quickly woudl be a great help right now.

We can both be reached via e-mail if someone has so great advice to offer. I will check this board regularily for the next few days and hope that all you animal lovers can help us out.

Thanks so much for reading and trying to do what you can.
stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Banned

Is there a no kill animal centre near your friend? It might be worth asking them if they could look after the babies.

Poor babies! I hope they make it! How can people do such horrible things as throw baby cats in the trash??
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 05:15 PM

Here is a list of excellent links on how to take care of orphaned kittens:

http://www.feralcat.com/raising.html
http://www.hdw-inc.com/tinykitten.htm
http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm
http://www.acfacats.com/orphan_kittens.htm
http://www.kittenbaby.com/

Hope it helps! Thank goodness there are wonderful people like you and your friends to take care of defenseless animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Please keep us updated, Steve! Thank you for caring.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Premier Cat

I have raised several orphaned litters of kittens, though the youngest I began with was 11 days (orphaned at 9 days old). They had their eyes open by then.
The best thing to feed them is KMR (kitten milk replacer) though that may be difficult to find if the country is cat-unfriendly.

If their eyes gum up while they are opening, use a wet, warm wash cloth (gently) to remove the gunk. If you wipe to hard there is danger of scratching the cornea. I would say that as long as they are kept clean and warm and they are eating and eliminating...it looks good for their survival.

Thank your friend for rescuing them out of the garbage and certain death.
h

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

It's awesome that they are taking care of these babies! If you have trouble finding the KMR in a pet store, maybe contacting a local animal shelter...maybe they could tell you where to get it or sell you some if they have it. Good luck and keep us posted. We would love to see some pics

And welcome to the forum!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 01:24 AM
Cat Addict

sending prayers to the sweet baby's
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 02:29 AM
Banned

That's so sad , I'm glad your friend is helping out these kittens, that is so nice of him!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Nini - thanks for all the links. I passed those along. Mike is very busy with the cats (they gotta be fed, peed and pood every three hours or so!)

I will try to keep folks updated here.

It's not a nice thing to do. It's the ONLY thing to do. Who in their right mind would leave them to die. If I or Mike ever find out who ditched them we will be rearranging his or her face. (well... probably not REALLY, but... well, you know.)

I'm a cat lover myself (perhaps not to the extent of people on a board like this). I have three of my own back in the US that my mother takes care of.

Thanks again for the help and support. Once the kittens are old enough to be given away, we will either give them to friends or take them to ARC, a Humane Society like system in Japan.

steve
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Update

Hey, for those of you that helped out and/or read.

It's been about 6-7 weeks now and 4 of the five kittens survived well. The "runt" passed away sadly.

The four remaining kittens began eating formula mixed with wet kitten food about 10 days ago and the following day began to excrete on their own in a sandbox. I didn't get to witness all of the changes from birth to independence, but my mate said each day was pretty amazing.

Anyway, thanks for the links and help. If I think of it when I get home I will post a photo just as a "thank you" for taking the time to help us out!

Cheers,
steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page