Hagen Catit Fountains -- Were They ALWAYS This Awful? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Hagen Catit Fountains -- Were They ALWAYS This Awful?

Upon the recommendation of someone I met, I bought one of these things from PetSolutions.Com, which arrived today.

A couple of months ago, I was commenting to a friend that manufacturers made products for the pet market that were so overpriced and performed so poorly that I couldn't understand how they stayed in business, and I supposed that pet owners were just patsies.

That comment came back to bite me today.

At some point, I read that these were German-made (was this ever true?), which this one is not; it's 100% Chinese product. I'm curious to know if the product was downgraded recently or if these were always this bad.

This thing is such a piece of junk, I don't even know where to begin.

The pump produces a loud, pulsating growl that can be heard all over the house. I was told that these were "whisper-quiet"...NOT! The pump moves such a volume of water that it continually produces surges that spill over the edge of the outer bowl onto the floor, even in the rare instance that surface tension on the dome is partially defeated and a smooth flow over the entire surface occurs.

This is not a matter of being on a level surface -- I tried for two hours to find a position on a level countertop that would permit the water to flow without intermittantly splashing out of the bowl. I couldn't. When I tried to use it, it left water all over the kitchen floor.

This is not a matter of improper filling -- It is filled exactly according to the supplied directions.

Never mind the excessively complicated disassembly and difficulty of effective cleaning due to the many difficult to reach interior surfaces.

My guess is that at some point the original design's pump was downgraded to a cheaper and completely unsuitable unit -- but that's just a guess.

Has anyone had similar experiences with these current-production units?

Thanks for any help. This thing is utterly useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
What a shame, John! I'd return it if I were you. It's certainly not as advertised. I don't have a fountain for my cats, unfortunately. I know many people have them and the cats love them. However, I dont' know the best brands.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Banned

It sounds like a defective pump motor. Other members have Cat-Its and like them. I use FreshFlows myself. But they all have similar pumps. They're just slightly altered aquarium pumps.

I hope you didn't join just to rant on the Cat-It. Tell us a little about your cats and show us some pictures!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
Other members have Cat-Its and like them.
I hope you didn't join just to rant on the Cat-It.
No, I posted this to solve a mystery by getting the specific answers I requested.

It's very common for successful products to be badly degraded by outsourcing to cheaper manufacture. I'm asking satisfied owners of earlier pieces if this is currently the case with this item.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 02:57 AM
Banned

Hi John. Welcome to the forum.

I have a cat-it water fountain. I've never had any of the problems you describe and - best of all - my cat drinks more than when I didn't have one.

I'm sorry yours seems to be defective. Are you going to return it for another one?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Premier Cat

Hi John,
I have a catit as well and they all love it. It's been performing rather well, my only complaint is that it seems to get a little slimy feeling after a few days and I have to wash it more frequently than I did with my freshflow. Otherwise, I LOVE it, and the cats drink a LOT more from the sides where the water flows over. Sorry you are having a hard time with yours.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Banned

There should be a label on the pump. Maybe if John compared labels with somebody else, it would tell him whether or not they've changed to a new pump or not.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Premier Cat

I only purchased mine a few months back, April I'd say...

My label says:

Part number : 50050 Cheng Gao Submersible Pump

So...I assume the pump itself is made in Asia and it works great.

Here is the info. on the company itself:

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/about.cfm

John, I also wanted to add that if the pump gets air in it, it will make a bit of noise and not flow the water over the top like it should. If you try plugging it in and then unplugging for a few seconds about 3 or 4 times, that should eliminate the air. Air in the pump could also account for the spillage over the sides...the pulsating pressure from the air is probably causing this to happen.

Also, as the water starts to round the top, wipe your hand around the round bubble a few times to get the water rolling. I do that each time I refill it and it seems to get the water pouring over in an even stream as opposed to those dribbles you are referring too. Once you know what to do, the thing is really awesome. I haven't had a single problem and I have 4 cats and rottie mix that drink out of it all day.

I actually just saw that they have a new "dogit" for large breeds and I think I may buy it as well.

Give it a chance and make sure the filter doesn't have air in it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Banned

I brought mine in May this year. I'll scout around for the serial number etc in a bit

I noticed the 'slime' too Julie. Any idea what may cause it? Just the constant flow of water over the plastic?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Premier Cat

I bought one of the Cat-it fountains a few months ago and no one would drink aout of it. THey didnt like the way it flowed over the sides. I had a different fountain in past where the water came out in a stream and they loved it. I got so frustrted with the cat it that I just threw it away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page