My cat keeps bringing home a friend... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

My cat keeps bringing home a friend...

Another neighborhood cat, which doesn't have rabies and is neutered. Whenever I let my cat out for his romp in the grass this cat seems to show up and follow him around, he's friendly so I don't mind. When I let my cat in, the other cat shoops in right behind him. He doesn't want to leave our house either, hides under sofas when you try to catch him and won't come to you when you tempt him with treats. The owner says he's an outside cat, if he keeps him inside he eats everything he can get his paws on. The cat seems to be a fine inside cat to me, he's spent hours in our house before, I guess it's because he has another cat to play with in our house.
I'd rather not make my cat a permanent inside cat, because then he gets very feisty at nights since he has so much energy and keeps trying to play with my parents while they're sleeping. Any suggestions for a way to let my cat in without the other cat, or a way to keep the other cat away from mine? The things I tried were the bitter apple spray across the entrance of our house, a water spritzer (couldn't even hit him with the water, too quick), and the compressed air. I don't want to slam the door shut either because I might catch the cat mid-way and squish him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 04:19 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jimmyness
Why dont you want the other cat to come into your house? If he such a nice cat as he sounds.

Sincerely, Krystle.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Cat Addict

Maybe with this new friend, your cat would play with him in the house and not your parents? It seems to be this cat needs and wants a friend and likes your cat. Maybe you can make a deal with the owner and keep this cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 06:01 PM

Hmmm.. if you pick him up and bring him in, will kitty still follow?
Or maybe you could pick up neighbor-cat and let your cat in, then step inside and put him out.

quite a pickle.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

My parents don't want another cat, not to mention he has an owner. I can't pick up my cat when he's outside, I lure him into the house by tossing a treat inside the door. The only way I can pick up my cat is if I grab him by the tail, which he hates so I avoid doing it.
I don't trust the other cat alone in my house either, after what the owner told me. If I stop watching him he might go a-wall on the couch/wallpaper.

Nevermind, I'm going to use a gate outside to keep the other cat from sneaking in. Going to try to get my cat in the walkway then put up the gate before I open the door, and hope the other cat doesn't jump it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheemie
My parents don't want another cat, not to mention he has an owner. I can't pick up my cat when he's outside, I lure him into the house by tossing a treat inside the door. The only way I can pick up my cat is if I grab him by the tail, which he hates so I avoid doing it.
I don't trust the other cat alone in my house either, after what the owner told me. If I stop watching him he might go a-wall on the couch/wallpaper.
You should never grab your cat by the tail. Of course he hates it. But you shouldn't "avoid doing it" - you should never do it.

As for the cat friend, I think the only option you have is to keep your cat inside. Can't you just keep him in a different room at night if the reason he was put out was soley because he bothers your family while sleeping? I'm sure the luring with treats is enticing the neighbor cat just as much!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
There is a cat door that will let in only a cat wearing a certain collar. I'm sorry I don''t know more about it.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Cat Addict

Isn't a cat's tail part of the spine? Be careful pulling the tail, you maybe could break his back?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
There is a cat door that will let in only a cat wearing a certain collar. I'm sorry I don''t know more about it.
Duh, Coaster was just talking about these in another thread recently. That's a great idea, Jeanie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page