What do you do with your used litter? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

What do you do with your used litter?

About once a month I dispose of about 25 pounds of used cat litter. That inclues 2 garbage bags to reinforce it. I have 2 litter boxes for my one cat.

The waste is such a waste! Can anything be done with it? Can it be recycled? I have children, so putting it in a garden (if anyone does that) is out of the question.

What do all of you do?

Christina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Cool Cat

Wet litter sure is heavy, isn't it? I live out in the "boonies" and there's no trash pick-up. We have to take our trash to a "transfer station" where we throw it down into a trailer that takes it to a dump. One of my neighbors has nine cats and spends probably $15/month at the station just in cat litter weight. I, on the other hand, put mine around trees and bushes (no kids here ).

When I used regular litter, I took it into wooded areas (I have 12 acres). Then I switched to scoopable and I hated it, because it never seemed to dissolve and turned into cement. Now that I use chicken feed, I fertilize the shrubbery with it. One rain and it's gone!

There are "flushable" litters. That might work for you as you have just one "cat's worth" of litter. I'm not sure I trust the 'flushability', though. I have a septic system instead of public sewers, and I'd be afraid of messing it up. I'd bet any money that the chicken feed could be flushed, as it is basically crushed corn, but with six cats, that's a lot of stuff to flush.

Since you have a garden, my suggestion would be (1) switch to a non-clay litter (corn, paper, or pine-based......but corn or paper would be best) and (2) compost the litter along with your other "compost-ables" for the garden.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Banned

I bag mine in the empty litter bags and put them out for trash pickup.

If you live within city or town limits there might be ordinances forbidding the composting of animal waste. We discussed this before, long ago, and composting was one suggestion I made, but it was shot down for the above reason, and because it might be considered biologically hazardous.

If local ordinances aren't a problem, then I wouldn't see any problem so long as you have an enclosed composter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 02:26 AM
Banned

I flush most of mine down the loo. Not had a problem so far
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 11:08 AM

I throw mine out onto the lawn. I use the poultry feed, so its great fertilizer!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
We throw it into a garbage bag and throw it in the garbage can and they pick it up. Not really any ordinances around here.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Senior Cat

flush it down the toilet

Lauren&

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

So you mean I could probably compost it with my yard waste (leaves and such)? I have a huge composte pile away from the house and I think I will check with the town to see if there are restrictions. Thanks for the information!

Christina
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Cat Addict

I buy litter in the 35 pound plastic buckets, then use the empty buckets as "litter lockers", then when it's full, I just snap the lid on tight and set it out for trash pickup.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Premier Cat

I do the same thing as Mike from Ky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page