Back from vets- Mango getting bigger! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Back from vets- Mango getting bigger!

About 2 months ago Mango weighed 17.2 now he is 17.6. When is it going to stop? He just keeps getting heavier!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Do you feed him any dry food at all? If so - Catkins Diet time!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Now everyone, don't shot me, yes he eats dry, Evo dry. The vet said it has too much protein and that wet food is too high in fat. I do want to get him started on wet, I just need to read up on how to go about doing it. I also have my son's cat living here. She was on wet before all of the recalls and I took her off. Just need to decide which wet food to feed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Premier Cat

I don't necessarily agree with your vets take on the food issue - it's not the protein or fat that typically causes any weight gain and high protein and fat is really what does make up a good diet for cats.

Because the EVO is higher in protein, you probably could stand to feed a lot less of it than what you are used to feeding.

Also, if your cat is free-feeding that's a MAJOR factor. The first thing I would do is establish set meal times for your kitty if you don't have them already. If you do, I would be sure you are measuring the servings and not overfeeding.

I do agree canned food diets are much better overall and will help your cat get to a healthy weight, but establishing a meal time and making sure you are feeding appropriate portions is also as important.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Premier Cat

Here's a good article about Feline Obesity from Dr. Jean's Library:

http://littlebigcat.com/index.php?actio ... w&item=016
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Yes, he is free fed. i will have to stop that. It just doesnt seem like he eats that much, but he does, I assume, go into my son's room and eats his cats food. Just like he uses the litter box up there too. It will be so much easier once my son and his cat move.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

EVO dry is a pretty high calorie, nutrient dense food, you need to feed significantly less than many other food brands.

How overweight is he? Kobi is a big boy at 18 lbs, but really isn't fat, he could lose a a pound or two, but he's never going to be a 12 or even 14lb cat...

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Mango is a big boy too, but I don't think he is fat! The vet wants him to get down to 14 pounds. I think he is just fine. Here are a few pictures I took today. They arent the greatest. Let me know if he looks too fat.

He is of course sitting on the steps.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

I'd say he's a bit chunky, he should have a defined waist when you look at him from above.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks, thats what I needed to know. I am biased because I see him all the time. I will start measuring food, but with my son's cat it will be hard. My son is 25, was only supposed to stay two weeks, this was at Thanksgiving, and he is still here. He is a pain in the rear. esp. when it comes to his cat and food. His cat weighs about 6-7 pounds and doesn't have a weight problem. She is a dainty little girl with a small appetite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page