Cat/Kitten Rescue Organizations - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Cat/Kitten Rescue Organizations

Hello!

(I already introduced myself in the say meow section)

Anyway,

Does anyone know of a good rescue organization in Central Ohio? We are looking to adopt in October at the earliest, as we are moving to a new home in September.

The reason I am asking this question is that I got in contact with some organizations that make me wary. One I called offered free kittens that came with no vet certificate of health, no vaccines, or anything.

This lady said she had 34 cats (or some obscene number) and that she never took the mothers and the babies to the vet

She also claimed to be a rescue.

I just want to do the right thing and make sure my money goes to an upstanding organization. We may just adopt from the pound, but I would really love to support a no-kill shelter.

Thanks!

OhMy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Premier Cat

I can totally understand you desire to verify the rescue before adoptig. I recently adopted a kitten through petfinder from a one woman show that portrayed herself as a legit rescue only to find out she seems to be an animal hoader making a living off of extremely high adoption fees that come from sick, underage animals. I know this because I ended up with a very young kitten that died after 7 days of extreme care and 4 vet visits. I ended up broken hearted with $1000 in vet bills...so do your homework and don't feel bad about doing it.

You may want to try petfinder, even though my experience wasn't the greatest, i have adopted other animals through there. Be weary of those that don't give a phone number or address, or require you to email them with YOUR phone number in order to get a reply. You could see if they have a website, etc..

Also, see if they'd be willing to let you come meet the kittens first. And make SURE they will provide you with prior medical workups or history. I was not given this and it screwed me out of a pet insurance claim...

Good luck...

If you are too weary of some small organizations, just going down to your local town shelter could be your best bet...I prefer to adopt out fROM the kill shelters myself or animals that have been pulled from kill shelters by rescue groups, as it just makes room for one more animal or buys someone else a little extra time. Supporting the kill shelter is a good thing...you're literally saving the animals life...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Banned

Even reputable organizations don't provide a "vet certificate of health." What the Humane Association and Societies do around here is arrange with local vets to provide a free physical exam after you adopt a cat. Therefore, checking the cat's health is your responsibility. If they have a cat's pre-adoption medical history, they'll share that with you, but there's no guarantee of good health. You take them as you find them, pretty much the same as if you adopted a human child.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
but there's no guarantee of good health. You take them as you find them, pretty much the same as if you adopted a human child.
Ain't that the truth!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Well, I know that with dogs they can tell you what health problems a particular breed is prone to having. I'm not sure how cat breeds go. I would assume that some breeds have more health problems then others (like persians seem like they would have the same health problems as a brachycephalic dog). Some quality breeders give an unlimited lifetime guarantee on health. Sorry that my spelling sucks.

Although I wouldn't expect that with a rescue, I would require proof of vaccinations and spay or neuter, or a least a certificate for a full spay/neuter/vaccination session at a vet's. And I'll definitely take him or her to the vet with in 72 hours of arrival.

I just didn't know if they provided that kind of "well, if kitty gets sick with in x amount of days from something they caught here at the shelter/rescue/foster mom's home then we'll give you your money back or provide another cat/kitten for free" type thing.

I know that when getting a rescue puppy, some rescues do that kind of thing, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the info! I didn't know if you all could recommend certain rescues by name that are in my area? I figure that if anyone would know, people on a forum like this would.

Oh, and to Add- yeah, that sounds terrifying and heart breaking and exhausting. Its sad that the little kitty had to suffer most of all. That's EXACTLY what I want to avoid, and also why I want to make sure that I give my money to a good and worthy cause.

I wouldn't mind to give my money to the Humane Society in our area. They do the best they can, and do a job that no one else wants to do.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMy
I wouldn't mind to give my money to the Humane Society in our area. They do the best they can, and do a job that no one else wants to do.
I'll go along with that!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Premier Cat

As for the breeds, many cats are DSH, DLH or mixed breeds, so it's hard for them to determine whether the cat would be prone to common genetic/breed ailments.

Maybe you'd like to ask them to review their adoption contract before visiting with the kitties, many of the things you are requesting ARE in the adoption contract. I have 14 days to return Fenway if something should happen...I can return her for a refund of my adoption fee if something should happen and she becomes ill.

Legit rescues should provide you medical history, even if they don't have anything prior to the animal arriving at the rescue/shelter, they should do testing for FIV/FeLV and up to date on vaccinations. Spay and Neuter should be done, but if the animal is too small or too young most will ask for a deposit as an incentive for you to actually get the s/n done. That's what happened in my case with Fenway. Which for me, is fine because I will absolutely take care of that, but it still worries me that they do that because I know there are a lot of irresponsible pet owners out there...

There are a lot of members here, so there may be someone who knows of a respected rescue or shelter in your area, if they do, I'm sure they will reply soon.

Takin ga trip to your local humane society is not a bad idea at all!

As for my baby that didn't make it, I absolutely agree with you that it's horrible that she had to go through what she did. Honestly, as much as I fell in love with her and wanted so badly to save her, she probably should have been euthanized at the shelter, as she just wasn't well and she was badly emaciated (scale of 1-5 with 1 being the worst, both vets listed her as a 1), had watery diarrhea, horrible ear mites and wouldn't eat without being force fed. Though, it does make me feel better to atleast know she ended up with someone like me who knew what to do and had the means to give her the best care and keep her comfortable rather than someone who couldn't do those things...So, at least if she was going to be adopted to *someone* I'm glad she ended up with us.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Cat Addict

Where in Ohio are you located? I adopted Mango from this place and had the vet certificate. It seemed okay, Mango's foster mom met me there when I picked him up. They went to New Orleans to help with the Hurricane Katrina animal rescue and that is where they got Mango from.

Homeward Bound Humane Society
548 Dog Leg Road Heath, Ohio 43056
(740) 323-2100

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 933 Newark, OH 43058 - 0933
[email protected]
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Very interesting information.

I guess in the pound, a cat is a cat is a cat. It's not like with rescue dogs where it's like a husky mix or a doberman mix or whatever. It's just domestic long hair or domestic short hair.

That's fine by me. I'm not looking for a pure bred cat. My dog is all the pure bred I need, LOL!

Ziggy- Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to go ahead and go with the Humane Society. Seems like they need the money.

Now, I just need to learn about kitten proofing, male vs female, and what toys are best!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Premier Cat

Take a look at the free articles on this site:

www.littlebigcat.com They are all written by a feline vet who frequents the forum here from time to time. She really knows her stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page