automatic cat feeders - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat

automatic cat feeders

Can anyone recommend a good automatic cat feeder on a timer? I did a search and discovered this topic mentioned a few times in the past few years, but I thought I would bring it up again to see if anyone had any new favorites. I am just going to get one for the occasional overnighter when I want to give them access to dry food the next morning before I return later in the afternoon...although I am probably going to have to get two, b/c I know one cat is not going to get his head out of it!

Thanks,
Karie and crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

Jennifer2 has the Catmate C50 so I suppose you could pm her if she doesn't see this thread.

Here's a two-day feeder

(PS - I'm not shilling for Drs. Foster & Smith; it's just easy to find stuff on their site and I knew they had these feeders)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Senior Cat

i have never used them but i would worry that they mite not work right but i am a worry wort any ways lol.

i find dr foster and smith to be expensie and are starting to carry only the stuff with there name on it. when i buy stuff i compare prices and care-a-lot seems to carry alot of good stuff for cheaper
http://www.carealotpets.com/auto-feeder-cat-bowl/
dr foster and smith has a sale right now but when i checked the pirces with car a lot even with the sales care a lot is cheaper. i always shop around lol.

this looks like the same one at the dr foster and smith but is 10 dolors cheaper.
http://www.carealotpets.com/item-detail ... 0000001392
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 11:01 PM

I recommend the C-50. I have had one for about 10 years.

My previous cat figured out how to open up any of the designs that simply release the timer and up pops the lid. I tried 4 models of the lid pops up style and she always figured out how to pop them open within an hour. She was very determined. Then I got the Catmate 50 and she never figured out how to open it for 10 years. Now I have 2 different cats and bought a second one. I never had a problem with it.

Here's another one I found with a similar design:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 11:10 PM

I wonder if these things would keep canned food relatively fresh during the day too?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Banned

Take note that although the Catmate will serve up five days of meals, and will serve either wet or dry, it won't serve five days of wet because the food is kept cool with plain old ice, and so when the ice melts, the food will warm up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

I have both of the ones that Tim posted links to. The two bay one is extremely easily broken in to. Kobi can do it in about 10 seconds flat and does it immediately after I leave the house (once I backed out of the garage and realized I forgot something...went back in and he was already eating). The timers on the two bay are also not very precise and it's very difficult to get both lids to open at approx the same time.

The C50 was never broken in to. Both come with ice packs which I've used to keep wet food cool for several hours, but certainly not 5 days.

I've also seen this type of dry food feeder, never tried it, but the rating on Amazon seems pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Bistro-El ... 07-4203824

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for all of the helpful advice and links! BTW, when the C-50 opens, is it relatively quiet? I have 2/3 jumpy cats who might get so freaked out that the feeder will not do any good if they are under the bed! Although I would work on conditioning them to it first, of course.

I will check out the carealot link and petmate; and I like the other option on fosters and smith, too...it is nice to have options!

Thanks,
Karie and crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page