Question about neutering - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Question about neutering

Next week I finally get to pick up my bengal kitten (10 weeks old) and I've been gathering information regarding neutering and declawing. First off I know that it's recommended to do them together resulting in only one sedation and between 4-6 months of age; with the declaw go with the laser removal. My question regards the neuter. I want allow my cat to grow as large as he can and it seems like the information I've found said that regardless of how early/late you get them neutered it does not effect there size (size is majority based on genes).

Just looking for other's opinions and knowledge.
Thanks for responses ahead of time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 01:32 AM

I wouldn't declaw as it more often than not, cause problems--behaviour and physical--do alot of research before you declaw!!

As far as neutering, I say the earlier its done the better.
If you wait too long, you end of having to deal with Tom Cat behaviour like spraying everywhere and yowling.
Anytime between 12 weeks and 5 months is the best time.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 01:39 AM

I agree with Mysterious, about the declawing as about the neutering. You can wait til your cat is about four months old if you want him to get a chance to maybe develop typical tomcat traits like the jawls, but you're also running the risk of other less pleasant traits appearing during that time... it's up to you to monitor your cat's behavior, and to watch him closely to decide when he is ready to go to the "dark side of the force"

Here is an excellent article about declawing, that I really think you should read before you make your decision: http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/declawdrjean2.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Premier Cat

Why do you want to declaw this cat, Xandernfs?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

Just as an example of the bad the effects of declawing can be, the California Supreme Court just overturned a lower court's ruling and each city of California is now individually free to outlaw declawing as it sees fit.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:18 AM
Cat Addict

Please don't declaw. There is good reason why it is illegal or considered extremely inhumane in many countries. It is a very painful surgery, can cause behavioral problems such as biting, fearfulness or litterbox avoidence, as well as lead to bone and joint problems later in life.
Many declawed cats may end up being just fine, but many are not. Why put your cat through that or take that chance when there are better solutions that really do work?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

Is your other cat declawed? (That's why some people do it.)

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:34 AM

I'm surprised the breeder is allowing this. Breeders don't usually condone declawing and actually have you sign a promise that you won't declaw.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 04:15 AM
Banned

Emm .. guys ...

As much as I disagree passionately with declawing, with all due respect, the poster didnt actually ask our opinion on it. They asked about when was the best time to neuter. If they had asked about opinions on declawing I would certainly say my piece but they didn't.

Just a thought.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 05:00 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jimmyness
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysion
Emm .. guys ...

As much as I disagree passionately with declawing, with all due respect, the poster didnt actually ask our opinion on it. They asked about when was the best time to neuter. If they had asked about opinions on declawing I would certainly say my piece but they didn't.

Just a thought.
The fact that they're not even questioning about the declawing is the problem!

Sincerely, Krystle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page