Cats and balconies - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Cats and balconies

How many of you live in apartments and condominiums and if so how many of you allow your cats on the balcony? Because my place is small I cannot deny them an outdoor enclosure and the balcony is the only thing I can offer them but Spotty has to be watched like a hawk or he tries to jump on the railing and Rosie does not try to jump on the railing. She usually just sits on a cusion. But she does bite the leaves of one of my houseplants and I have to chase her away from it. I don't give my cats grass because it makes them throw up every time they eat it.

Rosie seems more content to be an apartment kitty than Spotty. I think Spotty would be happier in a larger space such as a house. He gets restless sometimes going inside and outside constantly during balcony time and meowing while Rosie happily sits on her favorite chair. But I'm too attached to Spotty to give him up. Does this make me selfish or just a devoted cat lover? I've got to make this work. Strict supervision on the balcony at all times and both cats have to come indoors when they misbehave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Banned

I know what you mean by a restless cat who wants a larger space -- sounds like Rocket.
Can you screen in the balcony so they can be out there unsupervised?
Something like this:

from here: http://www.thecatsden.net/index.html (look under "photo galleries")
or maybe you could build it yourself.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 02:00 AM
Premier Cat

I would never trust my cats not to try to fly so I enclosed my little balcony with deer netting. It was very easy and inexpensive (about $40)to do and I feel so much better knowing they are safe out there.
Let's see if I can post them correctly this time.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Wow! You can't even tell from street level. Nice job!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned

Nice work, nanook, that looks like a great place for cats to hang out.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Premier Cat

That looks GREAT! I wanted to do something similar at the community I lived in in Florida but they did not allow you to.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I wish I could but my Home Owners Association forbids it. I own my own condo but the rules are strict. We only own what's inside our condos. Anything outside within a public eye view, they have the right to make restrictions unfortunately. I'll just sit outside with them and try not to let them out at night or when they're most active.

I'll bring Spotty inside for a play session when he gets like this. Fortunately it's not high. Although I can't rule out the possiblility of an injury if the cat does fall. I live on the second floor. I have a neighbor on the 3rd floor to the right of me. She has allowed her cats freedom to go in and out and the cat has done regular tightrope acts on the railing from her apartment to the neighbor's apartment and never fell. But I will not take that risk with Spotty. I think he could fall. Fortunately if I'm outside with him I can control his actions. Because I startle him when I catch in the planning to jump phase and if he really misbehaves I send both cats back inside.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Premier Cat

Condos can be a pain.
But one of the reasons I used the deer netting is I'm on the third floor and you can not see it from outside. I'm in an historic building so what it looked like did matter to the landlord.
Another thing I thought of which might deter them from jumping up on the railing is to put planters all along it with upright plants in them. I have smaller ones and Nanook has been known, on the rare occassion, to try to jump up on them. Naughty cat! But maybe something like this, just longer and with taller plants in it would work?

P.S. Thanks you guys! Yes the cats LOVE it! Especially when they have their 5 am crazies, they chase eachother out one window and in the other. It's too funny!

Victoria
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Another rule the HOA has is that we're only allowed to have 5 plants on our balcony not to exceed 5 gallons. It's crazy. I'm already technically violating the pet rule which is no more than 2 small animals not to exceed 25 pounds in weight. When I first got my 2 cats they met that rule but now that they've gained weight I'm in violation. But of course they're not going to come out and weigh that. They just don't want big dogs. Silly rule isn't it. Why don't they say no more than 2 small animals not to exceed a certain height?

And yes my cats love to eat houseplants which is why I only have succulents. Thanks for the suggestion. I'd have to think about how that's going to work.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Premier Cat

Boy, their tough! What's the point of a balcony if you can't have plants!!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page