question on anesthesia - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

question on anesthesia

Buddy had some minor surgery yesterday and everyone knows how it is when you get them home, they are so groggy and could hardly walk. After Buddy had been home for a few hours and effects starting to wear off he became almost aggressive. He was trying to "kill" his toy "da bird". I have never seen him so aggressive plus, he was running around the house at lightning speed. I have never seen him run so fast and he was panting so hard but he wouldnt quit. I have never seen a cat act like that after coming off the anesthesia. Is this normal????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 07:53 AM

Goodness me.... I've never seen that in any of mine that have had surgery.... perhaps someone else will have an explanation. I hope Buddy is doing good!!

Second thought... I wonder if you googled up side effects of anesthesa in cats and see if by chance, some of those syptoms you've described have been noted...?????
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Banned

Did they induce with ketamine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Premier Cat

I know I was REALLY weird after coming off anesthesia, so maybe it could be the same for cats.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Maggie has the running around crazy thing after anesthesia but I thought she was just happy to be home....she sometimes does the crazy cat thing without any outside influences. I guess it could have been the anesthesia though. But no signs of aggression...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

he is doing better today, he is still a little "weird" but he is getting back to normal. His minor surgery was not actually surgery, he had an ear infection a while back and he had a lot of wax and gunk build up in his right ear, it was all compacted in so the vet put him under and cleaned out the wax plug and flushed his ear out, he said it was too risky to do that while buddy was awake because the instruments could actually puncture his brain if he was moving around
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Cool Cat

I'm no help whatsoever, but this reminded me of something. When I was a kid, I was gassed for some kind of dental procedure; don't remember what it was. Anyway, I was having this marvelous dream that I was in the forest, dancing with a bunch of unicorns. As I awakened from the gas (I think it was ether back then), my legs were still wildly dancing --- and I kicked the dentist in the groin.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CataholicsAnonymous
As I awakened from the gas (I think it was ether back then), my legs were still wildly dancing --- and I kicked the dentist in the groin.
Haha that's the funniest mental image
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Premier Cat

One of the vets here said that cats can hallucinate coming out of the anesthesia. So for ferals its important to keep them in the traps, covered, and confined so they wont thrash around and undo stitches.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Cinderella is going under for dental work in a couple week, so I'll have to watch for this.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page