kitten season... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

kitten season...

Hello all.
Well, on my bike ride yesterday I happened upon two beautiful orange cats. Upon further inspection, I found that the cats had a slew of kittens hanging out in the plants behind them. The kittens are really small, but very adventurous..

Their little mews were barely audible. I don't know what to do, because on one hand the kittens seem like they are too small to leave mom and dad, but on the other..the mom was ignoring them and they were all over the lot, not staying close to her at all. They were sort of OK with my presence. Should I attempt to rescue the kittens and mom together? Mom is very frightened by my presence and ran into some sort of shed type thing. They are living in a lot that is not very safe at all. And I would be happy to foster (or maybe keep.... ) the kittens.

Should I wait a few weeks till they seem bigger? What would be signs that they're ready for human homes? Maybe they're feral..but I at least would like a rescue group to TNR them. Someone came by there and said he got one kitten and took it home, which made me feel so sad...what if she wasn't ready to be seperated from Mom? Advice? They were soooo cute. Oh my, poor kittens.
-Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Premier Cat

I would try to trap them, you'll probably get the momma cat as I'm sure she's starving with having to feed all those kittens. You may want to ask those in the feral area of the forum.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Premier Cat

They sound like they are from a feral mom to me.

Be prepared -all rescues, this time of year, are over run with kittens. It might be a challenge to find someone to take them to foster them. I would leave them with the mother as long as you can. Or you might foster them till they could find a good home. Its very rewarding and fun to foster but alot of hard work. Its running us about $100 a kitten (nueter, spay, shots etc) to get them ready for adoption baring no other health complications we have to treat. Like ring worm, felv, fiv, diareha, etc
You could bring by food for the mom too! Its very taxing on moms to nurse those kittens

But please make it a priority to eventually TNR the mother. Let us know what happens!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I will check out the situation tomorrow. I think there's a dad cat too, or a relative-cause he's orange too. Tons of orange cats. And is it possible the mom has had more than one litter recently? Cause there are older kittens..who look mature enough to eat food, and tiny baby kittens too. I know it will be tough to find someone to do this, a shelter I had signed up to foster with called me the other day to foster 2 litters at once. Yikes. I've been putting food and water out, but there are tons of bugs, so I don't know what good that is doing.
-Shannon
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 10:47 AM

To protect food from crawling bugs like ants and roaches, you can build a "moat" : place the bowl of food in a bigger, wider bowl filled with water, so that it will be sitting on the bottom of the bigger bowl, but surrounded with water. That will prevent the hungry critters from getting into the cats' food (I have a similar problem with the feral I am feeding, but here it's giant roaches 1.5 inches long that crawl in the food, and no moat is going to keep them out, yikes )

I think that trapping the mom and as many kittens as you can would be the best thing to do. You could get the mom spayed and then return her to the place she lives if she is not friendly enough to become a house cat, and tame the babies to have them adopted. Lots and lots of work in perspective!! Bless your soul for taking care of these helpless ones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page