Moving and Getting a Second Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Moving and Getting a Second Cat

Hi there,

It's been a while since I've posted - been super busy. Maybe a few of you might remember me

Anyways, my husband and I just recently bought our first house (yay!), and we are hoping to move in within the month (we have some overlap with our apartment lease, so we're not in any kind of rush). We are hoping, now with all the extra space, to bring another kitty into our family, but understand that it will be a difficult adjustment for Kiera (our one and only Queen Cat).

So, we were originally thinking of moving into the house, getting Kiera acquainted and adjusted to the new place, and then, after a few weeks/months, introducing a new cat. However, my dad suggested maybe that we should bring in the new cat at the same time, so that Kiera hasn't already staked her 'territory'. Granted, he is talking mostly from fish experience where a new fish can upset the balance in the entire tank, but I figured it was worth asking about.

Also, any thoughts on getting a kitten vs. an adult cat? We were thinking a kitten might be easier for Kiera to adjust to (and the kitten would be less traumatized by the change), but would love to also save an adult cat who is less likely to be adopted. No matter what we intend to follow all of the proper steps for cat introductions. I am just concerned because Kiera's been a solo act for a good 3 years now!

We appreciate your advice!

Thanks,
Heather (and Dave... and Kiera *meow*)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Banned

Here's a couple recent threads on same/similar topics to get you started:

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=425942#425942
https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=42730
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
First off, CONGRATS on the new house! And on the hopeful new kitty too!

In terms of kitten or cat... I think it probably has to do with HOW you introduce the new one to Kiera than what age the new one is.

We expect PICTURES when the time comes though!!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the links to the other threads! I just popped in and posted without looking for similar topics.

Moving is going to be a difficult enough thing as it is, not to mention getting a new cat. Logistics will have to be worked out, but hopefully we can time it so that the inevitable trauma at least happens for everybody at the same time

I think Kiera is going to like the new house - so much more space. There is a small storage area under the stairs that we are considering cutting open the door and making into a nice little private litter box & cat supply area.

We are also a bit concerned about food - Kiera was never a food hoarder, and we never had to worry about putting out food once for the whole day. It might get interesting if our second cat is a ravenous eater! But we'll figure something out. I just want to give Kiera some company, and hopefully give another homeless kitty a good home.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Update: Dave and I have just filled out paperwork to adopt this little sweetheart. She is 10 weeks old. We are thinking of naming her Luna (and yes, that is an intentional Harry Potter reference )

Click here please

She is currently being treated for a bit of ringworm on her tail, but she is already a week through treatment and we are planning on taking her home on August 7th (the move will be August 4th, and Verizon Fios is coming to do installs on August 6th).

We are thinking that we will bring them over at the same time, and confine each to separate bedrooms in the new house, following the introduction procedure. Maybe we can let them both out at the same time to explore the house? I'm not sure, I will probably be coming back for advice on this.

Also, I am curious how people deal with having both a cat and kitten in terms of food.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Awww....she's a cutie. Love the blaze up her forehead!

In terms if food...I use an all lifestages food when I have a mix of adults and a kitten in the house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 09:39 AM

I have been lucky because when I brought Willie home he was still a little kitten and he ate moist food and Miss Chloe eats dry. She cannot stand wet food. Of course I swtiched Willie and Buddy over to dry after the contaminated pet food fiasco. Now all of my cats eat Hills Science C/D, that is all Miss Chloe has ever eaten as far as cat food.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

No food advice, but OMGosh! She's adorable!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Premier Cat

Luna is adorable!!!!!!!! What a cute face.

Holly and Murphy
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Heather! It's so nice to see you! Your kitten is adorable. I would put both cats on canned food, and supervise meal times at first...to see if both eat the right amount. If neither is a problem, just put out two dishes and watch their weight.

Congratulations on the new home and the new kitten! Visit more often, please!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page