I need bit of help here - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

I need bit of help here

I am going today or Friday to meet two 8/9 weeks old kitties, they are brother and sisters.

I wanted to ask few members here some questions.

I am considering to get Natural Pine Cat Litter. What is your feedback on this product since I am not crazy about clay clumping and have never tried Pine. I would like to try and see.

I will be working 40 hrs a week, where should I put kitties, should I let them have free roam in living room, kitchen, laundry and master bedroom and have two rooms closed off that is office and boys room where there is toys all over.

I am childproofing the house again so the kitties wont get into trouble or get hurt like wires being exposed such as tv wire plug or whatever. It has been 9 years since I had a kitty. Been ages and trying to refresh my memory of what to do with a kitty.

I am considering to put litter box in my walk in closet so kitties can sleep with me and my BF since I am afraid to let them roam the house at night wtih my children sleeping. They are 5 and 3, they can get into things so I felt more secure keeping kitties in my room not knowing if something happens. you never know, do you agree to this? I just want the best for the kitties and make them feel family members to the family.

I did get kitties new bed, new litter box with cat litter box hood (from Target - the blue cube modern looking thing), cat condo, little kitty toys, I have not yet get food because i need to know what kind of food the person is feeding the kittens from rescue league where I am getting from. And of course kitty collars is what we need to get, we will just swing by Petsmart or Petco since they do carry kitty collars that other stores do not carry.

I am going to invest into SoftPaws since the kitties will be indoors and go from there since I am ok with declaw for front paws but I was recommended to try SoftPaws. What is your input on those. I am willing to try anything where I am very Flexible and want kitties to be all around happy cats.

I am not sure about litter, I will ask the lady what kind of litter so I can slowly transform the litter to pine litter just like changing the food. I also would want to feed kitties dry food and avoid wet food. I am not too keen on wet food and am concerned about all the cat recalls and need to know what brand is good to feed the kitties since there are so many to choose from which is so overwhelming just for one little bag of food.

Oh yeah, kitties are neutured and spayed.... just need to follow up on vaccinces....thats about it. I look forward for your input sooner since I may go today and meet the kitties (they are russian blue mix). CHeers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Premier Cat

Re: I need bit of help here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelli2boys
I am going today or Friday to meet two 8/9 weeks old kitties, they are brother and sisters.

I wanted to ask few members here some questions.

I am considering to get Natural Pine Cat Litter. What is your feedback on this product since I am not crazy about clay clumping and have never tried Pine. I would like to try and see.
I personally am not a big fan of the Feline Pine, I would reommend a litter such as Worlds Best or Swheat scoop over the pine litters. Some cats don't like the pine and I don't care for the smell either.

I will be working 40 hrs a week, where should I put kitties, should I let them have free roam in living room, kitchen, laundry and master bedroom and have two rooms closed off that is office and boys room where there is toys all over.

Quote:
I am childproofing the house again so the kitties wont get into trouble or get hurt like wires being exposed such as tv wire plug or whatever. It has been 9 years since I had a kitty. Been ages and trying to refresh my memory of what to do with a kitty.

I am considering to put litter box in my walk in closet so kitties can sleep with me and my BF since I am afraid to let them roam the house at night wtih my children sleeping. They are 5 and 3, they can get into things so I felt more secure keeping kitties in my room not knowing if something happens. you never know, do you agree to this? I just want the best for the kitties and make them feel family members to the family.
I think starting them out in your bedroom and graduating them to the rest of the house is a good idea. You may want to keep them in your room for a few days and let them get acclimated to their new house, family, etc. Sometimes this can be a bit scary, so just go slow. Keep them out of your children's room for sure, even if you think you got everything, they will find something. One of my kittens spent about 2 minutes in my son's room the other day and came out carrying a lego. Glad I caught that!

Quote:
I did get kitties new bed, new litter box with cat litter box hood (from Target - the blue cube modern looking thing), cat condo, little kitty toys, I have not yet get food because i need to know what kind of food the person is feeding the kittens from rescue league where I am getting from. And of course kitty collars is what we need to get, we will just swing by Petsmart or Petco since they do carry kitty collars that other stores do not carry.
Sounds like you are planning very well and you have invested in the most of the essentials. If I could recommend two things it would be a TALL cat tree with a TALL scratching post. Usually the tall posts wrapped in sisal rope are the most attractive. Cat's must have a place to scratch and they will not use a short post that is wobbly. It must be sturdy and tall enough for them to fully extended and elongate their bodies when scratching (at their adult size, don't forget). When you pick up collars, be sure to get the break away kind for safety reasons.

Quote:
I am going to invest into SoftPaws since the kitties will be indoors and go from there since I am ok with declaw for front paws but I was recommended to try SoftPaws. What is your input on those. I am willing to try anything where I am very Flexible and want kitties to be all around happy cats.
I personanlly have never had to use SoftPaws but I know they are highly recommeded for people to try before they even think of declawing. Now that pet owners are more educated on what declawing actually is, more and more people are deciding never to have such a horrific surgery performed on their pets. It's actually an amputation of their first digits - it's the equivalent of removing the tips of your fingers. It can lead to many behavioral problems and pain long after the surgery. If you do a search here on the forum, you'll find lots of talk on the subject and even some graphic pictures of what actually goes on in a declawing surgery.

With that said, I think it's great you are considering softpaws. I have been lucky enough to provide a good scratching post for my cats and have them use it faithfully. Every once and a great while they will have an off moment and try to scratch at my couch and I simply pick them up and move them to their post and they continue on there. I usually also realize that if this happens, it's becaues I forgot to clips their nails. You MUST clip their nails regularly. This is part of the reason why they scratch - to wear down their nails.

I would suggest you try to show them how to use the scratching post before the soft paws. I understand you must really stay on top of softpaws as their nails will still grow underneath and you will need to remove them from time to time to clip the cats nails and then reapply them.

Here is a very rational read on declawing:
http://littlebigcat.com/index.php?actio ... w&item=002

Quote:
I am not too keen on wet food and am concerned about all the cat recalls and need to know what brand is good to feed the kitties since there are so many to choose from which is so overwhelming just for one little bag of food.
Wet food is the healtiest diet for a cat. They are true carnivores and the majority of dry foods are made of of carbohydrate ingredients that their bodies can not use. Most cats fed an exclusive dry food only diet will end up obese and diabetic later in life. It's also a big contributer UTI's or crystals forming. It's very easy to find a good food, especially once you take a little time to understand how to read the labels and learn that the big box food companies are usually your biggest enemy. Anything you see on TV or in the grocerys store is pretty much garbage. Here are a few links that may help you with regars to the food decision:

https://catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9107
http://littlebigcat.com/index.php?actio ... cannedfood

The best foods are typically found in smaller independent pet stores, not the petco's or petsmarts, etc. - Though if you have a Pet Supplies Plus, they keep a fairly decent selection of high quality foods around as well.

You will need to transition your kitties' current diet very gradually to their new diet. Try adding a little of the new food very slowly and switching them over to a new food in 2 week period. Though you may want to feed them solely what they are used to for a few days, as they will be dealing with a lot of changes just from moving to a new house and you don't want to really shock their system.

Good luck. Kittens are a joy and having 2 at once is the best. I have 3.

Hope this helped you some, keep the questions coming, we are always willing to help!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Senior Cat

hey!
congrats on the future kittens

I would just like to add that i use ExquisiCat Pine Cat Litter. I love it. I don't find it that smelly, and its dust free. I bought this for my kitten because i heard that if they eat the clumping litter, it can clump in their stomachs. I have been using Pine since i got her, and i don't think i will switch to clumping anytime soon. It collects urine very well, instead of clumping, it turns into saw dust(although not dusty), and looks like a volcano in the litter box

good luck with them!

Lauren&

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Premier Cat

Kaia, if you like that, the feed store had tried to sell me some pellets that they said were made of pine - so it's probably the same stuff! I just could not deal with the smell (Pine?? um, I'm a city girl, I prefer pollution ) and the kitties were weary of the stuff inside the box, THOUGH i did not try it with the kittens and kittens adapt much easier.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

okay. where should i put litter box in bathroom or laundry room. laundry room is other side of the condo whereas we would want to keep kitties in our bedroom for few days since it is too overwhelming for kitties so should we put it by the wall near dresser for the moment as some ppl recommended it to be in bathroom or laundry not in closets or whatever...

I am struggling where to place the litter box .. i dont want to confuse kitties anymore where litter box is....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Premier Cat

I wouldn't personally put it in my closet because it just seems icky to me to have the poop box under my clothes.

If your bathroom is big enough, that would be fine, or the laundry room, whichever you prefer. Just remember the door to that room will have to always be open so they can get to it.

As for where you put the box during the stay in your room, I don't think it matters much, it's a covered box so they will have enough privacy. I tend to put things in corners, but that's just me.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Premier Cat

You may want to have a box in each location...it's probably a good idea to have more than one box with two cats anyway.

I also noticed that my one kitten, Phoebe would decide that the dog bed was a good place to pee whenever she was in the middle of playing. She'd be running around like a maniac and if she hopped on the dogs bed at any point she go, oh.....this looks like a good spot. I think she probably had to go but there wasn't a litter box anywhere around & the bed felt comfy. She did this 3 times before I finally went okay...we'll just remove the dog bed and add another litterbox in this room for a while.

My poor dog, she has to sleep on the floor and where her bed used to be is a box of kitty toilet.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

haha that is really funny about doggie bed. poor doggie.

I have big bathroom, i will just put in there for now for several days and move it to laundry room. I think kitties will do just great. I just want to take slow process for the kitties to adapt their new environment once we bring them home....

right now we are talking and figuring out what to name the kitties... boy and girl..

boy is whole grey... girl has grey and white.... its really unique marking on the girl.

i will try and post pictures as their website is under pending since I got application sent in and approved... going today to meet the kitties. hopefully we can bring them home today if not then Friday.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Premier Cat

Yeah, in case you haven't noticed, we are addicted to kitten pictures. Don't keep us waiting too long! They sound adorable and I'm sure they will have a great life with your family!

Ohhh, and good luck on bringing them hope. I know it's torture when you are waiting to bring them home!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 11:32 AM

One of my cats did the same thing with the dog bed....very strange. I have the litter box in my bathroom now and it's working out fine. I had a second one downstairs in a coat closet, but I moved it out because my house is for sale. They are doing ok with one, but when we move I'm going back to two. I personally like the smell of the pine litter, but my cats refused to use it. Since yours are kittens, I'd give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page