Cat still peeing out of litter box - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to ziggystyles Send a message via Yahoo to ziggystyles
Cat still peeing out of litter box

Hi all,
A while back, I posted how Cleo was peeing out of her litter box. Upon suggestions, I took her to the vet and she had no UTI. She is still doing this! Ive been washing clothes daily (had a huge pile due to a close malfunction, lol) and I noticed that she seems to pee only on clothes or a pile of clothes...I dont think she is peeing on the carpet directly. I have a LG washer that has a sanitary option so it heats and practically boils the pee out of the clothes. But this is really getting old. The other day, I found clothes behind the couch and washed them...set them back on the couch and whammo...sometime yesterday she peed on them again!

Heres the kicker...she is sneaky enough to do it when Im not watching...only once has she peed right in front of me...I dont even know what time of day she does it. At the same time...she also does use the litter box. I can't figure this out. We have a newer cat....got him back in Jan and Im sure he isnt helping the matters as he kind of drives her nuts...so Im figuring maybe she does that because of him.

Last night I found that pile of clothes and tossed her into the bedroom with the littermaid for the night. I cleaned the container out so I could tell if she used it and in the morning it looked like she had.

Im trying to make sure all the clothes are picked up and hung up....but I think she also does this on blankets (not on beds though from what I can tell).

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM

When I was in petsmart a few days ago, I was in the cat area *litter* and I had seen something that one can put in the catbox to train a cat to use their box. It look like catnip, but once I was reading it, it had someother herbs in it.So you might want to check that out and see bout that, hope that helps and good luck.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:36 PM

I am not sure washing your clothes with a regular detergent is enough - you can't smell the cat pee when they are clean, but your cat still can detect it, and will be attracted to the smelly spots to go again.

I would soak the pee-stained clothes in an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle, which "dissolves" the smell even for your cat. Then proceed to wash them as usual. I have done this successfully with blankets and sheets my cats had peed on. I hope it is not too late either, as washing with a regular detergent or tumble drying the clothes may well have set the smell inside the fibres... Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

I think GJ's Mom is referring to something called "cat attract". I think it's something you shake into the litter that smells like dirt and the outdoors to attract them to want to scratch around and use it. The fact that your kitty is using the litterbox half the time though makes me wonder if that "cat attract" stuff will work...

By the way, having the same problem with one of mine. She also has only peed in front of me once. If you find a solution, let me know!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Cool Cat

Clothes on the floor are fair game here. I can't leave anything on the floor or it gets 'blessed'. I just had to learn to keep the dirty clothes hamper in the closet and never leave anything on the floor.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to ziggystyles Send a message via Yahoo to ziggystyles
thanks for your replies so far. Well I hoped the sanitary cycle would do the trick...it kills the bacteria and heats the water to 158 degrees. hmm

The thing is she knows how to use the litter box and is about 3 or so years old we figure. She never had a problem until we got the 2nd cat. Then its kind of selective usage, lol. Im just not sure exactly what is causing her to do this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 02:32 PM

How many litterboxes do you have? The "rule" is as many cats plus 1.

It could be a dominance thing or when one cat is using the box, the other cat refuses to use it. If you only have 1 box, try one more and that may solve your problem! That way they both can pick their respective places.

Best,
Christina and Gigi
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Banned

Ryan, you say you "think" she's not peeing here or there but you can't be unsure about where cats pee because if there's any place out of the box where there's still traces of urine it's a signal it's OK to go there again, and if it's OK to go outside the box in one place, it's OK to go outside elsewhere. You need to get a blacklight to find where those urine spots are and eliminate any you find with enzymatic cat urine cleaner. Refer to the urine sticky and search for posts about blacklights to find out how to go about this. Good luck.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiandchris
How many litterboxes do you have? The "rule" is as many cats plus 1.

It could be a dominance thing or when one cat is using the box, the other cat refuses to use it. If you only have 1 box, try one more and that may solve your problem! That way they both can pick their respective places.

Best,
Christina and Gigi
This may be your problem. Some cats don't like to share boxes too. So you definitely need multiple boxes if you don't have them already.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Cat Addict

To me, kitty litter box secrets are the greatest enigma known to man. I could write a book on the subject, an inconclusive one of course. My vet has always said that it means the cat is stressed about something and even when the source of it has been eliminated, it can quickly become habit.

I would recommend 'Feliway', but I've had mixed results with it myself and the price is obscene.

good luck, there just isn't a simple solution (no pun intended)

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page