Back from dental cleaning - and FUMING! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Back from dental cleaning - and FUMING!

I went to pick Cinderella up and she was thrashing in her cat carrier. She didn't know who I was or where she was. It was all I could do not to burst into tears right there in the waiting room. They worked on her last, so I don't think they let her anesthesia wear off enough. They didn't even finish until 2 p.m. and I got there at 4 p.m. I told them earlier I had no problem sitting around and waiting until she was ready to go home. So apparently, they woke her up to put her in the carrier and she wasn't ready. Then, they said keep her in the carrier for the next 2 hours until she calms down. Well, she was trying to bite on the metal bars on the carrier - they pulled FOUR TEETH in front - she was throwing herself against the sides of the carrier and going around and around. I got her home and there was no way I was keeping her in there. She was going to hurt her mouth and she doesn't like being in there. I closed off my bedroom and let her out and she's under the bed, still doesn't really know me or where she is, but she's in her corner and hopefully, she'll calm down and come out when she's ready. I'm so upset right now. Plus, it was the vet I don't care for who worked on her, who's very aggressive, so I'll never know if the teeth even HAD to come out.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Premier Cat

Marie, go softly talk to poor Ciinderella, and put some of her favorite smelly treat on the floor near her. The familiar sound of your voice and the scent of a familiar treat will help calm the poor baby. She might also be thirsty after her ordeal, so a dish of water would help, too.
Poor Cinderella, and poor you
Scritches and treats all around
post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I try to talk to her and she moves farther away from me under the bed.

I think she's too out of it for food yet. I don't think she's quite aware of who I am or where she is, either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

My vet's office just called to see if she was still thrashing around - the "doctor was concerned."

I knew this wasn't "normal"! When I was leaving, one of the women at the front desk asked me if the doctor has seen her (acting like that in her carrier).

post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, the poor thing. SHe must be so scared.

I think if you just lay on the floor with her, not to close, and just be quiet it might help calm her. At least, I hope.

HUGS and KISSES.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

She can't really walk straight, and I tried giving her a little piece of her favorite thing in the WORLD, Gold Tuna Flakes, but she couldn't coordinate her eyes and the flake and eating it. She finally got a flake into her mouth, but it was just so sad watching her try.

post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 09:02 PM

I had one bad experience that taught me a lesson.

Mimi had 3 extractions once. I brought her home, let her out of the carrior, she'd take 2 or 3 steps and fall over, get up and do it over and over again. It was really pitifull to watch. After THAT experience I now leave all my cats overnight at the vets after anesthesia & pick them up the next morning.

Sorry to hear of poor Cinderella's bad reaction. I would definately call the vet tomorrow & give them "what for" for releasing her like that and scaring the bejesus out of you to boot!
post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Premier Cat

Poor Cinderella! I can't believe they released her in that condition!
I would call the vet and ask exactly how long ago she "woke up" and how long before you should expect her to be able to walk and focus her eyes. And while you're at it, give him a piece of your mind.
I'm sure she'll be fine but I think it's just awful that they would send you home with her like that. Even if she's feeling no pain, that's a **** of a thing to put a worried owner through.

Edit to add: PS I would not feed her anything right now Marie. Not until she's more awake and then just a little bit.

Victoria
post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

She was supposed to have had almost 4 hours of recovery time, part of that still hooked up to monitors and all of it on a warming blanket. They didn't finish her dental work until a little after 2 p.m., it was supposed to have been done before noon, but they were very behind. I would have gladly waited another 1-1/2 hours (until they closed) for her to come out of it slowly, on her own, being monitored. In fact, when the tech called me, I said I was coming in at 4 (the time they thought she would be ready) because I was going home and bringing Cleo in to get her ails clipped, but I would gladly wait around until Cinderella was ready. I like their waiting room, all these people with cool pets, and we always strike up conversations with each other.

The vet said she would calm down in a few minutes. I would have never, ever left there knowing she would keep it up and get even more violent on the way home. I finally had to turn the carrier practically up on its end to keep her from biting on the bars of the door.

They're calling me tomorrow to see how Cinderella is doing, and I think I'll be calm enough then to vent without crying.

post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Premier Cat

{{{Healing Thoughts}}}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page