My calico hair is matting - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

My calico hair is matting

Heidi is a indoor cat. We combed and she cries of course because it is matty.
Any easier suggestions on how to get the mats out without putting Heidi in distress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

I would say at this point, take her to a groomer, it's easier to comb out the matting with wet hair (and some kind of conditioner). After that, you'll just have to get her used to being brushed. My Cleo does not like it, but I try to do one side or top or bottom each day. Baby steps.

And WELCOME!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Premier Cat

Hi, I use a spray on called "THE STUFF" for my cocker spaniels to help keep them from matting.

If she is already really matted I would take her to a groomer, also. Let them just take care of them by shaving her down. The hair will grow back, trust me!

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Cleo's last owner couldn't be bothered even trying to brush her and she was shaved (this was before I got her).

As you can see, it's all back.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Premier Cat

What a cutie! Love those long hairs!

We brush Rookie every day, but she still ends up with matted areas under her legs. We have a pretty good system that works, which is that while I brush her under her chin (nirvana), my boyfriend cuts out the clump. I guess this approach isn't really recommended, but we've been successful in distracting her long enough that she doesn't flinch when the scissors come near. Having done that, though, we still get her stomach shaved about once a year.

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Jr. Cat

Melle is a longhair who doesn't groom himself we brush often but when he gets knots I use a small pair of scissors and cut into the knot to separate it and then it's easier to brush out.

Marie
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leazie
Hi, I use a spray on called "THE STUFF" for my cocker spaniels to help keep them from matting.
Can you look at the spray and see if it's okay for cats? I've never heard of it. Cinderella does get matting that I sometimes have to cut out, even with the brushing. The ironic thing about it is - if you look up her breed - it says their hair doesn't mat!!!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leazie
The ironic thing about it is - if you look up her breed - it says their hair doesn't mat!!!
I was thinking that exact thing, Marie. I remembered that I had read that numerous times....poor Cinderella, she got ripped off!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Premier Cat

I just looked at the bottle and it says for dogs. I know it's usually used on show dogs. I only one cat that mats and I use the distract and snip method of getting out mats .

If Cinderella doesn't mind baths (and, what cats doesn't mind a good bath..lol) you could use Coat Handler Shampoo and Conditioner. It works well on keeping the mats down because the conditioner is leave in. It is a mild shampoo and I have used it on the cats in the past.

Also, I will ask the groomers on my Cocker Spaniel board if they know of anything to prevent mats in cats.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddFran
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
The ironic thing about it is - if you look up her breed - it says their hair doesn't mat!!!
I was thinking that exact thing, Marie. I remembered that I had read that numerous times....poor Cinderella, she got ripped off!

But I'll take her, matts and all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page