Options for keeping the fuzzballs cool? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to ziggystyles Send a message via Yahoo to ziggystyles
Options for keeping the fuzzballs cool?

Hi all,
Well Cleo is a long hair cat (what kinds of breeds are there for longhairs?). Its getting hotter as the summer goes on and lol....I just feel bad for her. Do people trim their cats? I know that their fur can cool them off in the summer...but she seems to be laying down more on the linoleum, on my desk, under beds...etc.

Do you have any tips for keeping them cool? I have a window AC unit...but thats not going to do much at all for a 1600 sq ft house. Im also working on getting a regular AC unit installed if i can just get someone over here.

THanks,
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

You can shave her without feeling guilty. A lot of owners do that. This is MY long haired Cleo (she was shaved by her previous owner):

As you can see, it grows back.

I called around to get my cats' hair trimmed, too - apparently nobody does that - too hard. It's either shave or nothing.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

You can get her shaved as Marie said, but be aware that short haired cats lay in cool places like the floor or bathtub or sink in the summer too. If you think it will help her feel cooler, by all means do it, but don't be surprised if the behavior doesn't change.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Cat Addict

My place now has C/A and a really cool basement, but before that i lived in a really stuffy apartment with just a window unit. I've found for the most part they find ways of keeping cool on their own. Mostly by just taking it easy and finding cooler places to lay. I tried ice in their water but the didn'y seem to like that. Cats cannot sweat, but in a house setting, I wouldn't worry too much unless its in a hot attic. When you really have to worry is in a car with no AC. All of mine are longhaired, they never seemed to mind too much, just lay around more than usual.

-steve

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Premier Cat

I think long-hairs do just fine. If you see them panting, without having exercised or played, then you need to worry.
If your kitty's fur is not matted or tangled, you may want to consider just a belly clip. This could help cool them when they lay on cooler surfaces, like porcelain, tile or linoleum. Keeping the longer fur over their back/sides will also allow them to regulate their temperature better and keep them from getting chilled in a 'cool snap'.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Tom Cat

I have 2 long haired cats and 1 short haired and live in the Phoenix area where it is routinely above 110 degrees in the summer. We were a cool 113 today. They due fine but we do have airconditioning. They often lay on the tile during the afternoon where it is nice and cool. Hunter's belly is shaved because of his cryptorchid neutering so it probably is helping him keep cool during his first summer. Do you have ceiling fans perhaps? They are a good way to keep things a little cooler. A cat fountain may encourage her to drink more water and stay well hydrated.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Cool Cat

We have whole house AC, so we can often find them under the vents.

People may hate them, but ceiling fans work. We have them in almost every room in the house. The reversible ones work best - pull the warm air down from the ceiling in the winter and pull the cooler air up in the summer.

We close the blinds/drapes/curtains on the south and west sides of the house. We alos have trees strategically planted to shade the windows - no grass, but we have shade.

We have used 2 liter bottles (fill 3/4 full and freeze). The rabbits loved them.

And somewhere I heard about a person who froze a marble slab every night. it made a wonderfully cold surface for the furries to chill out on. I need a large one.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

I lived in a really warm place last year - no breeze to speak of, and Cinderella did just fine.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to ziggystyles Send a message via Yahoo to ziggystyles
Well here are some pics of Cleo and one of Hercules. Cleo is a large cat (in my book anyways...13lbs....and probably 12 of that is fur!). Since she is so big...I don't really see her curl up like other smaller cats. She most often just lays on her side stretched out...or on completely on her back.

Hercules is about 6 months old but he seems to have figured out the "hey..if I lay spread out...Im cooler" method. Hercules often can be found in the kitchen on the linoleum or on a mat on the floor in the kitchen. Cleo hardly ever lays in the kitchen...I think its just a texture thing for her.

As far as cooling...until I get my central air installed (lol anyone know how to do it?), Im just using fans. I have two twin fan window fans, two oscillating fans, one regular circular floor fan, and the window AC unit. I have more fans...plus the ones Im using are only on low anyways. It works...but I have nothing to really block the sun...so in the morning, the east side heats up...then in the afternoon, the west side heats up.

mom of 4, what did you do with the bottles of water when they were frozen? Did the rabbits just lick them for water or something?

Well unfortunately, we are living in a double wide...brand new...but still has its drawbacks. The blinds are thin plastic. I dont know what their point is because you could probably see a flippin firefly through it. They let in most all night. I wish we had the $$ to get some metal ones.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Hercules is adorable!

Your Cleo looks like my Cleo, just, um, a tad bit bigger - but the long hair makes them look larger than they are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page