oh no not another one!!! (updated, sad news) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

oh no not another one!!! (updated, sad news)

I hate when the shelter shows off their adoptable kitties at the pet store, while I'm just trying to buy some cat food. I've already filled out the adoption papers for an adorable kitten, Eli, who came the shelter as a stray-all by himself. Hes incredibly cute. Do you guys have any opinions on adding a third to the family? Is three a weird number? Both of my adult females are pretty young and play with eachother alot. Would someone be outcasted? Will I have enough love to go around?
Some thoughts would be excellent and most appreciated.
Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Premier Cat

3 isn't any more weird than 10. I manage to have enough love/attention to go around. The only problem is my lap isn't big enough.
I'll have to get hubby to get a photo of me the next time we are in the LR to watch a movie... I sit in the recliner and have one cat draped over the back of the recliner above my head. Another draped across my chest/shoulders, another in my lap but laying up my chest. One IN my lap, another usually on the side of my legs trying to get on my lap, one on my lower legs and another next to my lower legs. Lets see, that was ... seven.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I'm probably just scared that three WILL turn into 10!!! This guy is too cute to pass up, you know those rare super cuddly kittens? If he's there tomorrow, he's mine. I just hope his kitty-aunts will like him. -Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 04:55 PM

My cats are sisters, and they are not even one year old yet - they are very bonded and playful. When I first got the kittens I am fostering now they were NOT HAPPY! They hissed and growled and were just generally very jealous and mean for a good two weeks... but now, a month later, everyone sleeps and grooms and plays together. So, even if it takes time, there is always hope, especially if your resident cats are young
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Nini.
Another problem I am having, is.. I don't really have another closed off room to put the kitten in. My two girls use my bedroom all the time to hangout, and they have a litter box in the hallway of the bedroom too. Is it possible to not have a closed door introduction? I'm looking for that thread where a bunch of you said you had short and painless intros.
Shannon
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonm
Thanks Nini.
Another problem I am having, is.. I don't really have another closed off room to put the kitten in. My two girls use my bedroom all the time to hangout, and they have a litter box in the hallway of the bedroom too. Is it possible to not have a closed door introduction? I'm looking for that thread where a bunch of you said you had short and painless intros.
Shannon
There was a bunch of quick stories here: https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=42912

Not everyone does a long-term intro, and not all cats need it anyway. As long as no one is getting hurt or overly stressed, long intros aren't really necessary, in my experience, especially with younger cats.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much, that's just the thread I was looking for. So now that I'm fairly positive I'll be getting that kitten... do you guys like the name Eli? Its kind of old mannish, huh? Any other suggestions?
-Shannon
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
I manage to have enough love/attention to go around. The only problem is my lap isn't big enough.
If that's some kind of criteria, I could take in every stray in the neighborhood.

Shannon, what does your kitty look like? It would help us suggest names.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I have had numerous kittens dropped off, or adopted at the humane society or a barn, and I found that they fit into the household with no problems. However, I adopted Nina last year from Siamese Rescue as an adult. I kept her in a separate room for 10 days, but when I finally put her in a playpen for the face to face introduction, she and Blueberry hit it off immediately. He was so lonely after Precious died that it was love at first meow. He had spent much of the isolation time crying outside her door, and she had done the same.

Each case is different. Most often, it's easiest when the newbie is a kitten. With adults, I would do the gradual introduction. My collies accepted both kittens and adults with no problem. In fact, my mother collies nursed two kittens.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 11:31 PM

I LOVE the name Eli..........so darn cute AND different!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page