Misty and Stormy met a DOG! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Misty and Stormy met a DOG!

This is sort of random, but I guess that's what Cat Chat's for, right?

So yesterday before dinner it was so nice and cool I decided to give the cats another supervised outing behind my apartment building (this is the second time I've done this so far). They seemed to have a good time. They met a new person (my new downstairs neighbor), and they touched noses with Julius, the orange tomcat who lives downstairs-and-across from me, through the screen of his porch. Stormy watched a millipede and Misty caught a moth! Stormy also seems to have investigated several spiders and ended up covered in spiderwebs in the process. She then went up to the ledge on the landing that she always scares me by going on and settled in to wash them off again.

However, most exciting, Misty and Stormy met a DOG! A guy heading out to walk his golden retriever in the woods behind my building came over to say hello to my downstairs-and-across neighbor and walked right past Misty and Stormy. The dog was very interested in them (I don't know enough about goldens to say whether it was more likely thinking, "Cats! Let's hunt!" or "Cats! Let's see if they want to be friends!") and Misty and Stormy were very interested in him.

I grabbed their harnesses to hold them, but Stormy squirmed free and went up to within a few yards of the dog so as to better keep it under surveillance (from the realtive safety of under the stairwell). Her tail and the fur on her back were fluffed up the whole time, though. Misty was calmer but also stayed much farther away from the dog.

Of course, once the dog left, the place on the concrete where it had been required thorough sniffing.

I felt a little bad since several other people started to walk their dogs behind the building and then turned back when they saw me out with the cats, but I figure I don't take them out very often so the dogs can go around the front of the building this once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Cat Addict

My son brings his rotweiler over and Mango is not intimidated by him! He will hiss and bat at him. Joey has lived with cats so he ignores him. All the while Mango's tail is puffed up too!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Premier Cat

Our friend brought his Chow over one day and Taz smacked him across the nose. Sam, the chow, just cried. Poor Sam.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leazie
Our friend brought his Chow over one day and Taz smacked him across the nose. Sam, the chow, just cried. Poor Sam.
Awww
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Cool Cat

My dogs and cats have always been buddies...I have a picture of several cats curled up against a Samoyed, who wouldn't raise her own puppies but would steal any litters of kittens she could. Now in a different state, the neighbor's dog doesn't like cats...and my poor kit is so bewildered by it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:49 AM
Banned

Aren't Golden Retrievers friendly dogs or was that Labradors?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 02:14 PM

This may be way off base, but do you read Marguerite henry? Author of Misty of Chincoteague??

I mean...boy it would be sheer concidence if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Just in case you don't, she wrote children's books for children who adore horses. Its all about Pony Penning Day on these little islands off of the coast of Virginia. I've read all of her books, and plan on making a trip to Chincoteague/ Assateague in a few years.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I usually think of goldens as friendly, but I don't know whether that includes cats as well as people. They ARE hunting dogs, after all, although I think they're more bred to carry things back to the hunter *after* they're dead.

I did read some of the Misty of Chincoteague books, but that wasn't what I was thinking of when I named the cats. Stormy came with that name from the rescue. Misty was originally called "Cirrus," which is a lovely name but she didn't seem like a "Cirrus" to me, somehow.

I didn't think of the connection to the books until months after I got them, when I saw my dissertation advisor at a conference and told her I had gotten cats named "Misty" and "Stormy." "Those aren't names for cats, those are names for ponies!" she told me. (All of her cats have been named after characters from Shakespeare.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page