Cat CAUSING mouse problem. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jimmyness
Cat CAUSING mouse problem.

Okay so we have this mouse hole in the backyard near the aviary which is no problem because they're out there and we're in here.

Well Cassie (the cat that loves every type of animal she meets) will not stop catching the mice from outside and bringing them in the house! She doesnt hurt them she just gently carries them in her mouth, brings them inside whilst making a meowing noise, and lets them go! She seems to know where the like to live as well because she always takes them into the pantry! She's also very protective of the mice she brings in, if she see's Pixie coming (who would like to eat mice) she will hold it in her mouth and growl at Pixie whilst trying to jump up to higher ground where Pixie cant get to it.

Although this is all incredibly adorable we're getting quite a colony of mice living in our house now, soon there'll be more mice in the house than there are outside! As much as i love mice and get excited when i see them around the house (we have a gorgeous male that will walk out in broad daylight and he has these adorable large round mickey mouse ears) getting a bowl out of the pantry to find mouse droppings in it is not my cup of tea.

Any ideas how i can stop Cassie from trying to bring more pets into the household?

Sincerely, Krystle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Cat CAUSING mouse problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyness
Any ideas how i can stop Cassie from trying to bring more pets into the household?
You stop her at the door and check her for 'contraband' before she is allowed inside.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jimmyness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Quote:
You stop her at the door and check her for 'contraband' before she is allowed inside.
The thing is we have a doggie door which she comes in through, last night i was up with the flu and Cassie brought a mouse in at 2am! So there's realy no way of catching her! If we are awake she does usualy try to give the mouse to us which is when we usualy accept her offer and take the mouse back to its home outside, otherwise if we're asleep/busy into the pantry they go.

Sincerely, Krystle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:26 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
...doggie door...there's realy no way of catching her!
If you won't block off the doggie door, then you're moused!

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Premier Cat

I don't have any ideas for stopping her, but I must say it's a really cute story! Your pet wants a pet!!!

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 12:25 PM

This is the cutest story I have ever heard!

I love mousies too, and I am sure if I were in your situation I would end up with the same problem - mice and mice droppings everywhere, and still unwilling to kill or chase them.

I have no idea how you could teach Cassie to leave them out of the house though - seems like a tough one, especially with the doggie door. I guess if you locked it up at night she would loudly protest?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Cat Addict

OMG! How cute! At least for me!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Cool Cat

I don't know how to stop the cat, but for a no-kill approach...my family used to have a plastic bag of cereal on top of the fridge, until one day a mouse climbed in it and couldn't get back out. Just empty the cereal bag of mouse every now and then...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Cool Cat

Ditto on the high cute factor.

Would a Have-a-heart trap work? She could keep bringing them in, you could keep trapping them and put them back out, she could keep bringing them in again...

Or get one of those dog doors that only opens to animals with the right collar, and set it so that only the dogs can use it at night?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think they make the traps that tiny, but this is the cutest little story ever!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page