Cat owner stereotypes - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Cat owner stereotypes

I've been considering adopting two little kittens, giving me a total of four cats. A couple people at work are excited for me, but mostly I've been getting a lot of grief. Someone told their boss and he told me to my face that no guy will date me if he finds out I have four cats. I looked at him and said, "You were saying the other day that you haven't dated for years. Good grief, how many cats do you HAVE?"

I know the "old maid" stereotype is a house full of cats, but seriously, do guys really feel like that? We have guys on this Forum with several cats. Have you ever run into women who were put off by your owning several cats?

I'm curious now. Do you tell the person on the first date how many cats you have? Do you let them get drunk before you break it to them? Do you let them know after you tell them about your criminal past and just-out-of-prison-brother and bad credit and all your stalkers so it doesn't seem so bad?

Some of you must have stories about this.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 02:51 AM

This is off topic, but I am in LOVE with Cinderella. What type of cat is she?
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 02:56 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Do you let them know after you tell them about your criminal past and just-out-of-prison-brother and bad credit and all your stalkers so it doesn't seem so bad?
Oooooh, is THAT how it works? Good to know! LOL

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffykitty95
This is off topic, but I am in LOVE with Cinderella. What type of cat is she?
Thank you! She's my beautiful Birman kitty.

post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook
Oooooh, is THAT how it works? Good to know! LOL
That's my plan so far!

Seriously, though, I haven't dated for several years. My choice. So now it's going to be blamed on my cats? Puhleeeze! Let's put the blame where it belongs. My thighs.

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 04:28 AM
Premier Cat

I don't know if it works with cats, but a person on another forum told the story of when she first met her husband she told him that she had 25 dogs, even tho she had over 30 at the time. She joked that like 25 was better than 30? But, she knew he was a keeper when his only response was, "What kind of dog food do you use?"

I guess if you have to tell him about the murder charge first then he's probably not the guy for you, anyway.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:03 AM

It wouldn't make a difference to me, however, I am married and I have 3 cats. If that person doesn't like you for who you are then screw 'em
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

When my best friend lost her 18 yr male cat, she said to me "I'm taking this harder than my divorces (she's had 2) or any break up...my relationship with Jasper was the longest and best relationship I've ever had with a man"

Moral of the story.....if the guy can't handle the cats, too bad...cause the cats will still be there when the guy is gone.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Premier Cat

Your thighs!!?? That's hysterical!!! Get in line on that one.

I didn't have a cat when I was dating most recently (I've been about equal amounts single and dating/married). However, I must say that after about the age of 21, people assume that anyone they meet is going to come with some "baggage." I had a bunch of first and second dates with men, and I was always surprised at how little they seemed to care about things like whether the woman has kids, ex-husbands, etc. I kept thinking I should have been a prize for not having kids, and they just continually didn't see it that way!! ****.

So what I'm trying to say is -- if a guy likes you anyway, he's not going to care one little bit about you having 4 cats. He'll excuse that away in his mind just like we do about them being bald, having bad credit, seeing their ex-wife every weekend, or whatever.

Holly and Murphy
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 09:28 AM
Cat Addict

I would be more concerned with how my cats would react to my date than vice-versa. I too, have not dated in many years and my cats are my family, it has never once crossed my mind that it may become a dating issue. The last girlfriend I had (long time ago), my oldest would crap right in front of the television everytime she would spend the night. I took that as stern disapproval. I still have the cat.

Marie, you may want to really think long and hard about 2 more cats. I've had 4 and as many as 5 at one time and it's a handful for a single person living alone. Especially if medical issues crop up and all of a sudden you can't afford to care for all of them. I have 3 now and don't plan to add anymore.

-steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page