Volunteer training today - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Volunteer training today

Hello all!

I don't know if I told you, but I did end up rescheduling my volunteer training. I'm going this evening to the humane society.

Its called "cat socialization," which I took to mean that I get to pet kitties all day. I may be wrong, but I would assume that's what I'll be doing.

At orientation, they told us to make sure that we washed our hands before we handled each cat, and to not ever use alcohol based hand sanitizer because its toxic to cats.

Does anyone else have any opinions or advice?

I'm very excited!!

~ OhMy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Premier Cat

That's great you're going to be doing that! What a great gig.

Alcohol-based hand sanitizer? What would that be - a particular brand of liquid soap or something?

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

No, its that gel stuff that you can put on your hands in place of using soap and water.

I think for a specific brand name, it would be Purell. Sometimes Bath and Body has put out something similar, only its heavily scented.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

I'm excited for you, too! You'll have to report back tomorrow!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got my days mixed up (I'm a bit dyslexic, so you'll have that from time to time) and it was today that I was supposed to volunteer, which I did.

I had a great time, but we didn't do much but get oriented to the building and where supplies were kept, etc.

I got to give the kitties a change of food and make sure also that they had boxes in their cages. One box is for the disposable litter, the other box you are supposed to put blankets in so that the kitty can use it as a bed if they do not have a crate in their cage.

We got a good warning on making sure that we washed our hands w/ soap and water between handling each kitty. This shelter doesn't have a certain ammount of hours that a volunteer has to perform each month; we are just supposed to come in when we can and to make sure we log in and out of the computer so that the shelter can track our time.

I plan on volunteering two hours per week. Unfortunately, my BF and I have had a change in circumstance, and so I'll be working full time and going to school part time. That's why I won't be able to volunteer any more then that.

I may end up fostering when we move. It seems that there is a big need to do that. I am not sure if I have the will power to let them go. My volunteer coordinator said that the first litter was always the hardest, but then you came to realize that as soon as they were adopted, that more would be on their way.

Its a thought, and I told her that I wouldn't make a commitment one way or the other in regards to fostering. Especially if we end up adopting a kitty in the near future.

Anyway, just an update. I had a good time and can't wait to work it into my schedule permanently.

~OhMy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page