Kiten under the couch! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Kiten under the couch!

The kitten I am currently fostering keeps getting under our loveseat recliners. There's a lot of dust and mechanics under there and I'd rather like to keep her out. I've tried blocking the entrance with a towel, but she pulls it out. It shouldn't be a problem once she's grown a bit, but I'm not sure how to keep her out now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

If you have an old blanket or bath towel, just completely shove it under there so there's no getting in. You can try foil, I guess, but I don't know if that deters little kittens.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 07:50 AM

My cat Willie likes to do the same thing, he will get under the recliners during thunderstorms to hide and we are afraid that he will get mangled inside there. When you figure out a good way to keep the kitty out let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Cool Cat

I've just resigned myself to checking under the recliner before I ever stretch out on it, which is rarely anyway. My little mobile home has no really good hiding places except under the recliner. Robbie would lose it if that wasn't available to him; I've never had a cat as paranoid as he is. If I can't find him, at least I know where to look.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CataholicsAnonymous
I've just resigned myself to checking under the recliner before I ever stretch out on it, which is rarely anyway. My little mobile home has no really good hiding places except under the recliner.
You are in a mobile home? How many cats do you have? I thought this tiny little 2br house was small for our 5 kitties, but maybe i should stop complainin'. Though seriously, this house is so small, i probably have the same square footage as you.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Cool Cat

My little "box" is less than 700 square feet. I have 6 cats......OK, 6 1/2, soon to be 7......the stray tom is showing up more often. Gotta get him neutered and then he'll be spending more time here, I'm sure. But I tell you, it isn't crowded with felines here at all. And I had 9 when I moved in, still didn't seem "over-catted" to me. Well, in my case, I'm not even sure of the definition for "over-catted".

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Premier Cat

Our house is about 800 sq feet, so not too far off. Actually, you're right it's not bad at all....except for MEAL TIME!! Woah!!! I have a 70lb dog and 9 year old boy too, though. LOL
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Cat Addict

Oh wow, now I feel more mainstream. I have the tribe housed in 1040 square feet. I always felt that they had plenty of room though
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 03:34 PM

It helps to have a basement too which then actually doubles the living space upstairs (funny, but my kits don't really "use" the basement too much, except for the 3 litter boxes down there). Right now the only 'occupier' of the basement is my stray, Precious fluffy orange boy. For some reason he just doesn't seem to want to go back outside. I open up the door & make an offer but he just turns around and heads back to the basement. Lots of hidey holes down there, I suppose.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 04:30 PM

For a non-recliner, I'd suggest buying an "egg crate" type mattress pad, folding it, and stuffing it under the couch.

Because it's a recliner, I'd say use tape. Use either duct tape or packing tape and make big loops--like about two feet long. Flatten the loops of tape as you stick them down. Put enough loops of tape under the recliner so it feels sticky pretty much everywhere (not just at the entrance). Replace the tape as cat hair/dust bunnies reduce the stickiness.

It's actually really important to keep the kitty out of there. Our Bill got his tail broken as a kitten by sleeping under the recliner. A guest reclined the chair and heard a dreadful "MEOOOOOOWWWW!" <scramble, scramble, scramble>. Believe me, it was awful.

Even after that, Bill still wanted to sleep under the recliner. It was the tape loops that finally broke him of the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page