Cat Forum banner

Arianwen's Outdoor Adventure

961 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  gunterkat 
#1 ·
My lil' tigress decided she'd try going outside in the back yard with me for the first time today. She went about 7 feet up the hill and came back to me, then decided she'd explore under the shed for a little while. I gave her a few minutes to look around then started softly calling her. She came back to me purring and happy, but I was a bit worried that she might encounter some toxic indigenous wildlife.
All's well that ends well, and she's been super affectionate all evening, which is really saying something 'cause she's always a very affectionate kitty. :luv :heart
:kittyball

#2 ·
When we first moved here (1acre just outside town) I would have the neighbor boys come over and help me do "kitty-cat-round-up" where I'd open the back French doors and let ALL the indoor kitties outside to explore!
We would all stand in a rough circle, about 50-80' out from the house and keep them 'herded' in that area. BooBoo and Reilly were our 'runners' and they always had a person assigned just to them. ;)
The kitties loved it! We haven't done it since the neighbor boys became teens and found lives of their own... :(

I also noticed that they would be very affectionate when they came back inside...

#7 ·
It's like they appreciate you all the more when they know that new outside world...or they're so happy they want to share it with you...I know someday my Rotten kitten won't return to me, it always works that way with indoor/outdoor cats...but the outdoors make her so deliriously happy...I could never keep her from that side of herself. I can only pray that today's not that last day with her. I was so scared when we first moved here, and wouldn't let her out...but for teh firs tmonth, she wouldn't go outside for very long without me. I just hope the world works out for teh best ~sigh~.

#8 ·
I don't like being a wet blanket, but I don't think it's safe to let the kitties out, unless they're in an enclosure. There are too many dangers for cats, wounds from fighting other cats that can abscess, dogs, cars, disease, and, in some areas, coyotes, snakes, and predatory birds. I lost my special Pixie to a car, and I will never let one of my cats outside again.

There are some wonderfully inexpensive outdoor enclosures that are vey easy to build:

http://www.animalnetwork.com/cats/enclosure.asp

#9 ·
It is interesting to me that Arianwen shows no interest in going out the front door which faces the street. She seems almost scared of the front door when it's open. Really, she mainly likes to just look out of the windows.
That is a positive thing in my mind.

I lost Sam to a car, and I'm glad Arianwen wants to stay away from the street.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.