Arianwen's Outdoor Adventure - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Arianwen's Outdoor Adventure

My lil' tigress decided she'd try going outside in the back yard with me for the first time today. She went about 7 feet up the hill and came back to me, then decided she'd explore under the shed for a little while. I gave her a few minutes to look around then started softly calling her. She came back to me purring and happy, but I was a bit worried that she might encounter some toxic indigenous wildlife.
All's well that ends well, and she's been super affectionate all evening, which is really saying something 'cause she's always a very affectionate kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Premier Cat

When we first moved here (1acre just outside town) I would have the neighbor boys come over and help me do "kitty-cat-round-up" where I'd open the back French doors and let ALL the indoor kitties outside to explore!
We would all stand in a rough circle, about 50-80' out from the house and keep them 'herded' in that area. BooBoo and Reilly were our 'runners' and they always had a person assigned just to them.
The kitties loved it! We haven't done it since the neighbor boys became teens and found lives of their own...

I also noticed that they would be very affectionate when they came back inside...

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Banned

That's sweet , but no pictures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesnBaby
That's sweet , but no pictures?
Sorry, didn't have my camera with me Isn't that always the way it is?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

Awww. She knows where her safe place is.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Yes she does
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 11:05 PM
Cool Cat

It's like they appreciate you all the more when they know that new outside world...or they're so happy they want to share it with you...I know someday my Rotten kitten won't return to me, it always works that way with indoor/outdoor cats...but the outdoors make her so deliriously happy...I could never keep her from that side of herself. I can only pray that today's not that last day with her. I was so scared when we first moved here, and wouldn't let her out...but for teh firs tmonth, she wouldn't go outside for very long without me. I just hope the world works out for teh best ~sigh~.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I don't like being a wet blanket, but I don't think it's safe to let the kitties out, unless they're in an enclosure. There are too many dangers for cats, wounds from fighting other cats that can abscess, dogs, cars, disease, and, in some areas, coyotes, snakes, and predatory birds. I lost my special Pixie to a car, and I will never let one of my cats outside again.

There are some wonderfully inexpensive outdoor enclosures that are vey easy to build:

http://www.animalnetwork.com/cats/enclosure.asp

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

It is interesting to me that Arianwen shows no interest in going out the front door which faces the street. She seems almost scared of the front door when it's open. Really, she mainly likes to just look out of the windows.
That is a positive thing in my mind.

I lost Sam to a car, and I'm glad Arianwen wants to stay away from the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page