Buying food bowls online - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Buying food bowls online

My cats hate to eat from deep bowls, and I have been feeding them off regular plates ever since I got them. I would like to get them smaller food dishes, but it's hard to find shallow dishes that won't bother them (they seem to hate having their whiskers pushed up their faces in a deep bowl).

I spotted a few at a local petstore, but pretty pricey. Has anyone found good quality shallow bowls online yet? Any website recommendations? I have already browsed petfooddirect, amazon, petco and petsmart, to no avail - either too deep or too expensive - I am not about to pay $9 for a single food dish

Any tips appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Premier Cat

I got mine at the Dollar Tree. They are stainless with a little rubber ring around the bottom so they can't slide around and they are very shallow.
I thought I had 8 of them, but as I was washing dishes yesterday I realized there are 10...but hey, at a buck a piece....(then I can collect them to be cleaned and still have more clean dishes to put more food on)

Do you have a dollar tree by you? It's not a website, but it's a good deal if you have one of those stores.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Premier Cat

I found someone on ebay selling them for $2.99 - same exact one.
Here is what it looks like: Kitty Bowl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Cool Cat

I use some Corelle bowls that I picked up at WalMart. Corelle doesn't break. They come in saucers, dessert plates and wide shallow bowls.
Lots of patterns too.
I think I paid less than 3 dollars for a bowl.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I'd go with something not intended for use as a pet bowl, they are all deeper than what you are probably looking for.

The stainless steel bowls might be close to what you want - not too deep at all and if you can find the ones with the rubber they stay in place fairly well.

You can always stick with plates too if its been working this long, why change now? Something small like a tea saucer might do nicely.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link Julie - I have one of those that I got from the 99cts store (the local equivalent of the dollar tree ), I used it as a water bowl but had to remove the rubber thing, the girls would curl up their nose and act disgusted by its smell... so it kind of defeated the whole purpose. Now I have a petmate fountain and they won't even go close to that bowl anymore.

I might just stick with plates, just get tiny dessert plates or tea saucers - I am just looking for soemthing that won't take up so much room in my sink I have a bunch of plates that I use, so that I don't have to wash them every time... I guess I will just get a bunch of smaller ones from Target. There's nothing nice in the dollar stores, and the nice shallow pet dishes are so expensive it's ridiculous.

Thanks for the input everyone!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Premier Cat

I started out using small dessert plates as well. Particularly for the kittens as they always seem to prefer eating from something flat, rather than a bowl.

As for the rubber...that's strange, mine doesn't seem to smell at all. Maybe using it for water though, it got inside the rubber and started to smell?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Premier Cat

My friend uses some beautiful, fine bone china tea saucers for her cats. They're from a family set where the cups had broken.
Mine have china dishes as well but mine aren't antiques. LOL If you have a World Market or Pier 1 take a look at some of the sushi dishes. I think they make great cat bowls. Besides, I prefer looking at pretty dishes on the floor.
I agree that I don't think you're going to find what you want at a pet place.

Victoria
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 05:52 PM

Mine have ceramic dishes from Walmart. They are pretty shallow and were reasonably priced I am sure or I wouldn't have bought them.

I see them every time I go to Walmart in the pet section, but they aren't on their website.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Too bad the only Walmart I know of here is in the ghetto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page