to those of you who have cats that go outside... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
to those of you who have cats that go outside...

At some point in the very distant future I will have my own house. At that point, I'll finally get my kittens. I'm not opposed to adding an adult rescue or two, but really want kittens that can grow up with Brody (and possibly another dog or two at that point) rather than having them just kinda live together.

Anyway, I'm very much an indoor kitty person. Before he passed, I started baby gating our back deck (very high up) and letting Addison explore. He liked it and I was happy he had some fresh air and sunshine, but I'd come close to a heart attack at the thought of him jumping if he chose to or otherwise getting loose outside.

Now, with this hypothetical house will come a (hopefully) nice big backyard that will be fenced in. Ideally, I'll have some sort of set up where there will be no openings that go under the house and no areas big enough for a cat to squeeze through. My thinking was that if I can start them as kittens with supervised outdoor outings and somehow get the idea of the fence as a boundary, I'd be able to let them out (always supervised) without worrying much about escape.

Does anyone have some sort of situation like this? Cats who are quite happy to be outside but only in a set area like a yard? I know they'd be physically able to jump or climb the fence, but I'm wondering if its realistic to expect them not to?

I've seen the type of fencing at the top, tilted inward to prevent escape but its not very attractive. And I've thought about enclosed areas just for the cats but I figure why bother if I could have the entire yard be their outdoor area?

Anyway... just something I've been thinking about. And again, its not going to happen for a very long time. But it'd be nice to hear some opinions.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 04:27 PM

Probably it depends a lot on the cats. I've got a front patio and the fence is about armpit height to me. I've taken both Harley and Jax out for supervised visits out there - and there's so much out there for them to sniff, chew, and roll in that they don't seem inclined to try to escape. I've even let Jax stay out there on his own for an hour or sp at a time (I can see him from the window while I read in my recliner), and he's never hopped the fence. I know for a fact they both COULD if they wanted to, but they haven't even tried.

Similarly, my landlord has a cat that has free reign to come and go as long as she stays on the patio. She will even sit on the inner ledge near the top of the fence and will greet people walking by, but she seems to know not to climb over. They say they trained her with intitial supervised visits and fed her treats when she behaved well - if she tried to get out, they caught her and cut the visit short by bringing her in.

I never really did any kind of training with Jax, as I haven't seen a need to - he doesn't even try to climb the fence. So far, it's been the same with Harley (fingers crossed). Tilak on the hand knocked out the front screen the other day, and by the time I got the front door open, she was on the top of the fence and then disappeared before I could grab her. She was home by the next morning. Needles to say, she doesn't get patio time - but then she's a strange cat, and is semi-feral to begin with, so she's probably not a great example.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Premier Cat

I have a fenced in backyard (90% chain link, 10% cement block wall). I let the kids out when I am doing something like grilling so that I can be out there and watching them. In fact, if they hear me start the grill they all gather at the back door, waiting.

I don't have any trouble keeping them in the chain link, but for some reason I have a couple that love to scale the cement block wall (it's probably 8 ft tall) and head over to Grandma's house. If the ones that will escape start to head over to the wall I put them inside. But, for the most part they are happy to just explore the yard. We don't have any trees, or bushes, so it's easy to kep track of them.

We also take some of them out front to walk on harnesses, and we have mixed reviews on that.

I like being able to let them out to have fun, and we enjoy watching them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 08:16 PM

It was one tough battle making my small backyard escape proof, everytime I thought I did it my cats would find another way out. This battle was waged for about 6 months and in the end I'm proud to say I'm the victor. Now I laugh at my cats everytime they step outside...hahaha

Ken
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Banned

As has been said, it very much depends on the cats. If a cat wants to roam and hunt, only a cat-proof fence will keep him in. Something else to think about from a cat's point of view that may not be obvious just gazing at your backyard: cover. Both for shade, a place to hang out, and a safe place to hide, if necessary. You might have lovely landscaping from people's point of view but if there's no place for a cat to "go to ground" it's not a suitable backyard to be contained in. (Just something I learned during Rocket's summer of living dangerously.)

Oh, one last thought -- can your fence keep other animals out?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernuts
It was one tough battle making my small backyard escape proof, everytime I thought I did it my cats would find another way out. This battle was waged for about 6 months and in the end I'm proud to say I'm the victor. Now I laugh at my cats everytime they step outside...hahaha

Ken
what types of things did you do?

And I do know it varies largely from cat to cat... just looking for experience and thoughts.

Of course I can't answer any landscaping questions until I actually have said imaginary house, but I'm not much on gardening so I don't think I plan on anything major. Trees aren't a must, but I'm sure if they are close to the fence they could pose a problem. Same with tall bushes.

I know chain link is cheaper and if it happens to be there already, I probably won't go through the trouble of changing. I'm big on privacy though so ideally I'd have a very tall wooden fence.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 02:14 AM
Cool Cat

As has already been said, it varies from cat to cat. My parent's house has a backyard that's fenced on two sides, but the rest of is fenced off only by trees. One of the cats we had when I was growing up pretty much never left the yard when she was allowed out: the other *almost* always stayed in the yard but had the occasional urge to go exploring. (That's also how we learned a cat can leap to the top of a 6' fence in one jump...)

I'm not totally sure why they didn't go wandering more when other cats apparently do: I guess it's a personality thing. One thing that might have helped was that between the fence, the trees, and the location of the windows of the house, the yard was most of what they could see out the windows. So maybe they just figured that was their territory and that they shouldn't wander too far off of it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 02:19 AM

The biggest problem was they could reach the tops of my 6 foot high fences. I extended some fences but then they started climbing the walls of my house, I then had to tape strips of fluorescent light fixture covers to the tops of the fences so they couldn't get a grip on it. Other then that I had to keep plugging up holes they kept finding or creating. What I'll do for my cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page