Cats and dogs? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Cats and dogs?

I'm considering moving in with a couple of people who have dogs, a very mellow white shepherd who has lived with cats and gets along with them well, and a miniature dachshund who has not lived with cats.
I have no doubt that Sadie and Cheddar can get along with a well mannered dog eventually. Trixie will never like a dog, but she would be fine as long as she has an area that is off limits to them.

I'm looking for thoughts, concerns, and what I should keep in mind during intros. The only thing that really concerns me at this point is that I know dachshunds can have a high prey drive, but do I really have to worry about a 9 lb wiener dog posing a threat to the cats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 12:27 PM

How old is the Daschund? If he is a puppy chances are he will be REALLY energetic, which does not help with the prey drive. However, if the other dog is mellow and likes cats, he could learn from him.

My friends have six indoor cats and a good dozen in their backyard - they have always had a bunch of dogs too, and when their older dog died they adopted a young one from the pound (so that's three dogs all in all, two of which love cats). The new dog was of the happy-silly-jumpy-teenage-cheerleader kind, and would chase the cats all the time. After a couple of weeks of walking her around the garden on a leash and showing her that cats are NOT prey or toys, and being very firm with her, she now leaves them alone. I believe educating the dog is not going to be the hardest part... protecting him from the cats is going to be tougher
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 01:49 PM

My cats live with two Italian Greyhounds that are very good with the cats, once in a while the dogs chase the cat, then the cat chases the dogs. It's pretty entertaining. I do crate the dogs when I am not home, it's just safer that way for everyone. I don't have to worry about the dogs breaking a leg (that breed is prone to it), plus it gives our grouchy cat a chance to get down off high furniture for a while. I also make sure that the kitty box area is gated off from the dogs, and only the cats have access to the second floor of our house. I wouldn't worry too much about a weiner dog, my guess is that the kitties can handle themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Premier Cat

I wouldn't worry too much about the whole situation. If the dogs have already been around cats, I'm sure it will be just fine. You'll probably encounter the usual hissing and spitting until the kitties find their quiet space to hideway. Cats are a lot more resourceful than dogs when it comes to this, so I'm sure if they really want to, they can avoid the dogs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 02:33 PM

i wouldn't worry about the weiner dog, i am sure your kitty can protect itself. One good swipe and the dog will not bother the kitties anymore
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 12:03 AM

I have dogs and cats, and while they are not exactly cuddly with eachother, they do ok. Intro slowly and I wouldn't leave them in the house alone together unless the dogs are crated or the cats are in their own room or something.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostine
I wouldn't leave them in the house alone together unless the dogs are crated or the cats are in their own room or something.
Mine have always been alone together just fine, no crates or spare rooms, they are fine. Though I wouldn't recommend this until you know how the dog is going to behave towards the cats.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 03:55 AM
Cat

They should be able to hold their own against a 9 pound dachshund. They're basically the same size, and if you've ever seen a cat splitting mad, there's no doubt in your mind that she can handle a foolhardy dog, lol. My girls are no match for my dog, a 55lb Aussie-Border Collie mix, but they do put up a fight that scares even me. An angry, desperate cat is FRIGHTENING!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page