Question about FIV - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Question about FIV

I am not sure if I should be posting this here or in Health and Nutrition but I have a question about FIV. I had been feeding a stray cat for about a week and found out later the cat had FIV. I was using one of our stainless steel bowls to feed her out of and my cats ended up eating out of it later (it was washed in hot soapy water). I didn't realize until after they already used the same bowl that she had FIV. Could my cats possibly be infected with FIV now? My neighbor said that someone told her that the virus could be transmitted this way so I am a little freaked out now. I guess it was dumb of me to reuse the dish but I figured if it was well washed it should be okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Banned

Re: Question about FIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu22
I am not sure if I should be posting this here or in Health and Nutrition but I have a question about FIV. I had been feeding a stray cat for about a week and found out later the cat had FIV. I was using one of our stainless steel bowls to feed her out of and my cats ended up eating out of it later (it was washed in hot soapy water). I didn't realize until after they already used the same bowl that she had FIV. Could my cats possibly be infected with FIV now? My neighbor said that someone told her that the virus could be transmitted this way so I am a little freaked out now. I guess it was dumb of me to reuse the dish but I figured if it was well washed it should be okay.
Try not to worry. FIV cannot be transmitted via food bowls, only by mating, deep biting or mum-baby transmission. And even if it could, FIV is a very fragile virus that dies very quickly once out of the cats body. I would suggest the chances of your cats having FIV are virtually zero. But you might want to have them tested just for your personal peace of mind
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Cat Addict

Absolutely right, Melysion. FIV cannot be transmitted through sharing food bowls, so no worries!

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Yays! No vet visit!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjean
Absolutely right, Melysion. FIV cannot be transmitted through sharing food bowls, so no worries!
What about feline leukemia? I threw all the bowls and blankets out that I kept the kitten in, but didnt disinfest the carrier right away and the next day Mango got in it. He won't catch it will he?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. That was my feeling and knowledge of it as well but as soon as someone puts a little doubt in my mind I get a little worried.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy96444
What about feline leukemia? I threw all the bowls and blankets out that I kept the kitten in, but didnt disinfest the carrier right away and the next day Mango got in it. He won't catch it will he?
My understanding is that FeLV usually takes moist contact like sharing food bowls or nose-to-nose sniffing. I don't know if it could live on a carrier. Hopefully Mango will be fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page