Do kitties like Air conditioning? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Do kitties like Air conditioning?

I find this very odd... I live in the upstairs apartment of a two family house. B/c it's the top floor, it can get extra hot up here. I have an air conditioner in the living room and one in my room. It seems that when I have the AC on in the living room, Andie sits in my room under the ceiling fan. If it's on in my room, like it is right now, she sits in the living room... usually under the ceiling fan out there. I just walked out into the living room to get to the kitchen, and it's just so hot out there... and there she is hanging out....
I dont get it! Even when I bring her into the room with the AC, she wont stay for long. She will stay in the living room for a while if the AC is on, but she usually ends up going back into the other room.
Anyone (without central AC i guess!) notice this too? Or is it just my wacky cat? I dont get it! Doesnt she like being cool?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 04:24 AM

I only have window AC units in a couple of rooms. The cats and the dog all seem to be in the rooms that don't have the AC. Main reason I generally don't leave the units running when I am not there, they don't seem to care whether it is on or not.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 07:55 AM
Premier Cat

It might depend on wether they're a long- or short-haired kitty.
Arianwen is a long haired cat and she will sometimes lean into the breeze from the a/c unit, purring and kneading. She'll do that especially after a vigorous play session.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Premier Cat

I have a/c units in the bedrooms and the main open room in the house, yet I found my dog and two kitties curled up together on the floor of the HOT stuffy bathroom last night. I thought to myself, why the heck would you want to be in there? Hmmm...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Premier Cat

My tuxedo, Taz, will stand in front of the ac vent when it comes on, but he's the only one. Everyone else just ignores the ac.

My two silly dogs will go out and lay in the sun for a while in the after noon, and get down right upset if I make them come in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:13 AM

Maybe she's just sensitive to the air flow or the noise. I've got mine, and they don't seem to notice it much, although Jax and Harley will take up positions that allow maximum coolage after they've been running wild.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 01:18 PM

I think it depends on the kitty. Sometimes mine lay right in front of it and when they have had their fill, they move. Ozzy has medium length, thicker hair (tabby/Russian Blue mix). Heat seems to affect him more.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Premier Cat

I have central air so mine can't hide from it, lol, but Pumpkin loves the cool air. She'll put her face over the vents and lay next to them so the breeze blows right in her face

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Banned

When I first started using the central A/C at the beginning of the season, if Mellie happened to be near a vent when it kicked on she'd stare intently at it as if there was some kind of a cat-eating monster living in there coming out to get her.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Premier Cat

Central heat/air with all returns in the ceiling. I have deflectors over some of the return registers so the air won't blow directly down, but over towards the ceiling fan for maximum mixage.
Kitties like to lay in the sun.
When we had window-mount units, I cannot remember where they hung out...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page