New Born Kitten How do I take care of it? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

New Born Kitten How do I take care of it?

I have a kitten in a box in my barn that seems like the mother has adbandon it. I see other cats area but I don't see the mother around
it. The mother might have got killed on the highway? How do
I take care of it? I bought some kitten milk and bottle for nursing
it at the pet store. What should I do with it? The kitten can barely walk.
Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Premier Cat

Bring it in the house and keep it warm.
Gently bottle feed it and use a wash rag (rubbing it's privates) to stimulate it to go to the bathroom, both pee and poo, after feeding it.
You'll need to feed it every 3-4 hours until it is several weeks old, then you can go a little longer between the night feedings so you get more sleep.
They can be offered canned food (pate style, not sliced or chunks) at 4 weeks old. Some kittens won't eat canned food until around 5 weeks.
Periodically walk around the barn and see if you can hear other kittens crying, especially if they lost their mother.

Good luck!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Premier Cat

Just want to be sure you bought KMR or some other type of kitten formula rather than the milk that is for a treat that they typically sell at grocery stores.

Heidi gave you good advice. This is a time consuming task the baby will be depending on you for everything. I am doing the same thing now with a litter of 5.

Are the eyes open yet? Are the ears opened up or flapped shut against the head?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Problems with Kitten

We are having problems getting the kitten to pee & pupe. We have tryed
wiping it with a wet towel. Any suggestions??????
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Eyes are open?

Biggest problem is that it can't go. The stomach area is enlarged a
little. Eating and the rest room is a problem now.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Premier Cat

Should pee if you rub gently over the gentals area for several seconds. Pooping may be a day or two...mine did the same thing. Keep feeding her though, she has to eat!

Can you answer the questions I posted above, it will help get a good idea of her age.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Premier Cat

With my last orphaned litter I was having a difficult time getting them to poop. My male cat, LuckyDuck, finally stepped in and showed me how it was done:
He rolled them onto their backs and licked their tummys towards their genitals, sort of gently pressing his nose into their bellies. They pooped and when I tried it (with a washcloth over my hand) it worked!

To get them to pee, I would put a washcloth over my hand/fingers and while the kitten was upright (on tummy or legs) I'd use my fingers and 'massage' their tummy and privates. They would usually wet the washcloth for me. Don't try to hold them in the air for this, they need to be down on the ground similar to when their mother helps them.

I was not 'extremely gentle' or 'careful' of them, I sort of did it quickly and firmly. Mamma cats sort of knock their kittens around a bit. Maybe you are being to gentle and it isn't stimulating the kitten enough?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page