"Starter Kit" for the new kitties - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

"Starter Kit" for the new kitties

When I get my new babies, I want to be absolutely prepared for anything. They're in great health and they use their litterboxes 100%, but being in a new environment, they could be scared and it may upset their little systems. So I'll have their favorite food, they'll be coming down with their tent and some of their own toys and some of their litter so I can put it in their box here. I've ordered Da Bird (finally!) with several replacements (I've seen what they can do to their own Da Bird parts).

I'll get some Natures Miracle because they may be nervous and have an accident. What should I have on hand in case of diarrhea or constipation? I've seen people talking about slippery elm. I'm embarassed to say that I usually don't pay a lot of attention to the Health & Nutrition threads, except to wish kitties well and welcome new members, mostly because I've been very fortunate that my cats have had no health issues. (knocking on wood as I'm typing)

What basic homeopathic and OTC medications should I have on hand?

Thank you so much for any advice,

Marie

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:52 PM

Awwww Marie you're such a good meowmie!!

As far as I have dealt with these little guys, I would say one thing you could get is L-Lysine, which you can get from any pharmacy - in capsules is the easiest as you can just open it to sprinkle on their food, but I could not find it and went with tablets, you just have to crush them with a spoon, it's easy too. It's good to have it on hand in case their eyes would act up again.

Slippery elm is great to have in case of diarrhea or irritation of the digestive tract - you can buy it in bulk in health food stores, or in caps pretty much anywhere. There is a great "slippery elm syrup recipe" hidden somewhere in the depths of the forum, that worked great for me when Mew was having the runs for no reason. Plain canned pumpkin is great for the opposite problem, constipation.

That was my little contribution, I can't think of anything else right now... with all the TLC you are going to give them, they should adapt just fine
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks, Nini.

That covers two basic issues I was concerned with. I can't wait to get Da Bird. I thought my Furminator would arrive today, but alas, I'll have to wait until Monday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Here's the Slippery Elm syrup recipe

http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=lib ... lipperyelm

You need to kitten proof, recognizing that these little guys are going to into into stuff that Cleo and Cinderella never did because of their size. You may need to block access to areas...for example, Holly used to like to go behind the wall unit, it's only a few inches away from the wall and I couldn't believe she fit in there.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Oh, believe me, I'm working on the kitten-proofing. Remember when I got Keesha? She actually got stuck under the stove. I'm blocking access to everything I can think of. My beautiful knick-knacks are being put away. Will the kitties chew on candles?

post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:13 PM

Oh, about kittenproofing, you might want to invest in a covered trashcan if yours is not already... I am going to buy one this week, I am tired of squirting the little stinkers out of mine all the time

On a more technical level, I usually keep some goldenseal and echinacea tinctures, along with some Esther-C (powder or caps, or tablets to crush) and a bunch of empty caps that you can buy from the health food store - that's what I used when Isis and Mew came up with a cold right after I adopted them, it helped them tremendously, even though I guess traditional meds from the vet would probably work well too... I just like the natural approach, so if you do too it would be a good start
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Also, once you get them, don't leave things lying around...remember Holly stole my watch...

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Hmmm, so I guess all my loose jewelry on my headboard must be put away. I leave loose Tums out in case I need to grab one in the middle of the night. I can leave an open plastic trash bag in the kitchen on the floor and my cats aren't even interested. I have a lot of work to do, and lots of things to buy (thanks, Nini, keep 'em coming).

post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:48 PM

Oh and don't invest in a pricey pet bed... a case of food will do

post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Hmmm, so I guess all my loose jewelry on my headboard must be put away. I leave loose Tums out in case I need to grab one in the middle of the night. I can leave an open plastic trash bag in the kitchen on the floor and my cats aren't even interested.
Haha yes I would find a little box to keep your jewelry in... to give you an idea, the other night they found the little laser pointer we had, and managed to unscrew the part where you fit the batteries... they also managed to open the squirt bottle in another night session - don't ask me how

Last night Mew kidnapped three little Monopoly figures to go hide them under the bathrug... and if you leave an open trashbag on the floor you will find it chewed to shreds in the morning (with a possible pile of barf if someone swallowed a piece of it) WELCOME TO KITTENHOOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page