clipping nails - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

clipping nails

How often do you cut your cat's nails, or have them cut? I admit, I've been very lax about it lately and they are scratching on everything. I must get that done!!! Of course, the temporary house we're living in has some sort of burlap-y couch and they're all over it... and it's definitely not mine..way too ugly.. hehe.

-Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 09:15 AM

i have never trimmed their nails, I am sure I could get Buddy and Willie's no problem but I think I would have to sedate Miss Chloe to do it. They usually scratch the concrete deck to sharpen their claws.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Premier Cat

I do the kittens every 1 1/2 weeks or so. Usually by about 10 days I can tell. They are pretty good, but when they start to scratch on things it is almost always because I forgot to cut their nails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

My cats get mani/pedis every 2-3 weeks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 11:10 AM

I just bought a nail clipper for the first time last week and haven't had much luck using it. My cats start squirming and trying to bite me. Does anyone have any helpful hints?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 11:21 AM

If you play with their feet when they are sitting near you they get used to it, then clip just one nail. You can then do more each time, they soon learn that it doesn't hurt and a few treats always helps
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Banned

It hadn't even occured to me to clip Tobys nails until I saw it mentioned on here a few weeks ago. Don't fancy my chances though. Toby knows all too well what his little teeth and claws are for!!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Cool Cat

I pretty much trim their nails whenever I start getting stabbed when Stormy kneads me.

I live alone and don't have anyone to hold the cat for me. The way I do it is to sit on the floor and hold the cat in my lap laying on her back (so her feet are waving in the air and don't have anyplace to get purchace to squirm away.) I hold the cat and squeeze the toe with one hand and trim with the other. This works with my parents' cat, too, although he tends to nip when I do it -- Misty and Stormy squirm but don't bite. I don't know that it would work that well with a biter.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Premier Cat

Bethany, I like your idea, I'm gonna have to try it. Right now I use the sneak approach most of the time- you know when one of them is laying on your lap and is all relaxed I slip in a toenail cut, or two.

For some of them I just wrap them in a towel and expose whatever foot I am working on, I do have to admit that the ones I have to do this for tend to get their nails done much less often .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 11:50 AM

I try to do Kiddles nails every other week but sometimes I just don't feel the need to go through all the pain she causes me in the process. She will bite, scratch, howl, hiss you name is she has tried. The good thing is that she is kind of learning now and will atleast tolerate me for a few seconds or until she doesn't like it anymore and starts hissing and jancking. I try to do it fast and after we are done she just goes into her scratching post and scratches it. I have tried the towel but with her it doesn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page