Picky kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Picky kitten

Chewie has been weird about food lately... especially since she got sick the other night. She never liked Innova too much, but would eat Felidae and Evo without problems.

Now she won't touch Innova, and regularly turns up her little nose to Evo and Felidae. I tried letting her skip a meal, thinking she would be hungry enough at the next meal to eat whatever she would be offered - wrong! She still won't touch it - I swear she knows I want her to eat (she is so little and thin compared to her brothers), and I will end up offering her something better.

So I would offer some Wellness when she got too stubborn, and that never got refused. But today she did refuse the Wellness Chicken and Herring, while she was obviously hungry. Being a sucker, I opened a can of Beef and Chicken, and she gorged herself on it - now her little belly is back to being round instead of flat, phew!

Could it be possible that she started to dislike whatever has fish in it? The only common point I can find between Innova, Evo, Felidae and the Chicken and Herring is that they were foods she once liked, and all of them contain fish - herring to be more precise. She did eat some Wellness Beef and Salmon with gusto earlier this week.

It's so strange that she became that picky all of a sudden - could she associate the flavor with throwing up/being uncomfortable or something, or just decide overnight that she does not want anything with herring in it? Beats me

I will keep offering all kinds of food to her, I don't want her to end up being one of those divas who will only eat one special food - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Picky kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nini
...I don't want her to end up being one of those divas who will only eat one special food - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated though
Yes - suggestions, please! I already have one of those cats!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Off to pick up more herring-free Wellness... I will try the Felidae chicken and rice and the California Natural that my cats usually hate, just to see if she will touch it - infirm or confirm my herring theory.

Praying for inventive suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Premier Cat

Mine eat what I give them or they don't eat at all.

Most of mine are rescued, so they are happy for ANY kind of food, but I still buy good quality.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Mine eat what I give them or they don't eat at all.
That's the way I usually think, but with a thin 10-week-old kitten, I can't afford to do it. She desperately needs to gain weight, she is more than 10oz behind her brothers. She also used to love ANYTHING I fed her, so I am wondering what the heck happened to her.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Blueberry was quite thin, and ate very little until I tried Fancy Feast canned. I know it's not the best, but I found a flavor he loved, and only one! He gained weight and became much more playful. It's worth a try! Nina doesn't like canned; she likes dry. I feed the canned first, and she usually tastes it, and then uses her paw to rattle the dry food bag. I give in, eventually.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Premier Cat

I'd bet her tummy still feels a wee bit unsettled. That's what the case has been whenever mine didn't eat and when the felt better they'd go back to eating anything again. Try giving her some slippery elm and then her usual food and see what she does. Also, don't just rub it on her nose, pry her mouth open and stick a fingerful in, she may eat it after that. Works for mine when they TRY to be picky. Seriously, if she's just being bratty, she'll prob. eat it after you do that, otherwise, I suspect her tummy isn't feeling great.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Yes I think you're right Julie. This morning Chewie was hungry enough to eat some Chicken and Herring, and it's Obi who refused to touch whatever I offered him. I gave him some slippery elm syrup, and will give him a tiny bit more before I leave this morning, maybe he will be ready to eat lunch when Hubby gets home.

I tried smudging food on his nose and even in his mouth, he swallowed, but would not eat from the plate - maybe I should spoonfeed him his meal before I leave, since I won't be able to offer it again in an hour? He looks like something is wrong anyway, even when he eats and is energetic. I can see a bit of his third eyelid all the time, sometimes more if he is sleepy... maybe due to that stomach flu (I hope).
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Premier Cat

If he will swallow it and not resist much from your finger, feed it to him that way. The longer he goes without eating at that age, the harder it gets. Also, if you have some nutrical a little smudge of that for the kitties that don't eat a meal isn't a bad idea either. I feel your pain, sister. Been therea time or two...hang tight, he'll pull through.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and support - yeah it feels like the world stops turning as you anticipate all the horrible things that could happen if they stop eating. I will try feeding him like this right now, and will pick up some Nutrical from the rescue lady's this morning.

Edit: did I say "try"? Now he does resist, and just sliced up two of my fingers trying to push my hand away... I don't have time I have to go work, so I am just hoping he will be hungry at lunchtime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page