it's smelly in here! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

it's smelly in here!

For the first time, our 3 month old kitten decided to not use his litterbox last night and in the middle of the night he pooped on my husband's side of the bed and then on my husband's pillow--THEN proceeded to walk across his pillow! Don't know where THAT came from, because we do keep his litterbox clean. But also, when we walked out into the hallway, it stunk of the same fecal smell but we couldn't find any anywhere. It's been well over 12 hours now and it still smells that way in our hallway. Where is it coming from, and is it cat pee and not feces?? I'd like to get rid of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Cat

Re: it's smelly in here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_cat-mickey
For the first time, our 3 month old kitten decided to not use his litterbox last night and in the middle of the night he pooped on my husband's side of the bed and then on my husband's pillow--THEN proceeded to walk across his pillow! Don't know where THAT came from, because we do keep his litterbox clean. But also, when we walked out into the hallway, it stunk of the same fecal smell but we couldn't find any anywhere. It's been well over 12 hours now and it still smells that way in our hallway. Where is it coming from, and is it cat pee and not feces?? I'd like to get rid of it!
Cat urine is a unique smell that you won't mistake for anything else in the world. If you place a few cups of pure ammonia in a saucepan and try to boil it, that's similar, but not as intense. Maybe the cat "scooted" some feces in the hall? I think it's time for a blacklight search through your house.

I was going to write a Chuck Norris saying here, but he e-mailed me a roundhouse kick.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

would a black light search only detect urine though? i guess it doesn't smell as strong anymore...my hubby came home not long ago after being out all day and he says he can't smell what i'm smelling. i have been febreezing everywhere, too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 02:03 AM
Cat

A blacklight will make the microscopic proteins glow. So, Urine, feces, food, blood, even skin dander will show up. You'll be looking for what looks like smudges or splotches, not the little dust particles.

I was going to write a Chuck Norris saying here, but he e-mailed me a roundhouse kick.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 09:31 AM

I just used a blacklight for the first time and it's amazing, not only did I find a few urine spots on the carpet, I also realized how terrible a job I do cleaning the house, especially the bathroom. By the way I bought this off ebay and it works great...

Blacklight on eBay

Edited by doodlebug to reduce the size of the link so the page doesn't stretch.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

well this morning was the worst! the cat took a dump right by the computer!!!!! and it has been smelling so bad all day even with cleaning it!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

What are you cleaning with? A enzymatic pet cleaner is your best bet to eliminate the smell.

ETA:

Some more suggestions:

He may want separate boxes for peeing and pooping. I would try adding another box. If you have a covered box, I'd get an uncovered. Maybe try Cat Attract brand litter--it is scented to attract cats to it especially for this purpose.

How long have you had the kitten? A 3 month old kitten may not be the greatest at remembering where the box is, especially if he is a recent addition. He may need a couple extra boxes in various locations in the house for a few weeks (I had to do this with my Holly when I first got her).

You may also need to confine him to one small room (e.g. a bathroom) for a few days so he gets the idea.

And if he hasn't been to the vet, a check up would be advisable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice! we've had him a month now, and he had a full vet exam the day we brought him home. do you think that after a few weeks of not having any problems with the litterbox that suddenly he would?? i was thinking he was just upset that we won't let him bother us when we are sleeping or something. though he didn't have any accident last night, so that is encouraging!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page