plants safe for cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

plants safe for cats

We were wondering if there are any plants that we should stay away from when buying? We were looking at the burgundy rubber plant. Tucker liked to nibble at a banana plant and it did not agree with his stomach. Needless to say, the plant is gone. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 04:15 PM

get you some cat grass. kitties love it!! I bought a big bag of cat grass seeds, it grows in about a week to 10 days.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Banned

Check these sites out:

Non-Toxic Plants and Your Cat:
http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants-non-toxic.html

Plants Poisonous to Cats:
http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 02:53 PM

Just like anything else, not all cats like the same things. Schnitz loves to nibble on any grass type plant but completely ignores cat grass.

Here's my solution for keeping cat safe house plants ... Cacti !
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Premier Cat

Geesh maybe they should just tell us what house plant we can buy. Everything I like is on that list. Ive had an empty copper wash tub sitting in my livingroom for 2 months. I cant figure out what I could get that is cat safe that looks attractive
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess
Geesh maybe they should just tell us what house plant we can buy. Everything I like is on that list. Ive had an empty copper wash tub sitting in my livingroom for 2 months. I cant figure out what I could get that is cat safe that looks attractive
There are also non toxic plants for cats in my post above
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 AM
Cool Cat

The ASPCA also has a non-toxic list on their website.

If I have a chance I'll see if I have some of my favorite databases bookmarked. I like looking for databases that discuss the degree of toxicity, since while some plants listed as toxic are deadly and clearly shouldn't be anywhere near a cat, others fall into the "your cat will barf if she eats it" category and those I'm personally more lenient with. (For example, I have an amaryllis that predates the cats. They're apparently mildly toxic, but Stormy leaves it alone -- I don't know if she can sense it's not good for her or just doesn't like the texture -- so it stays.)

The impatiens seems to have migrated from the "non-toxic" list to many "toxic" lists between last summer, when I first bought them, and this summer. I don't know much about impatiens but I know Stormy ate a whole one leaf by leaf over the course of last summer with no apparent ill effects.

She seems to be preferentially going for the cat grass now, thank goodness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page