can you help with correct placement for the cat's stuff? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

can you help with correct placement for the cat's stuff?

We have a covered litterbox downstairs in the area of our kitchen that is across from our bathroom and the door leading to the garage. I have no room for it IN the bathroom, and we have a two story condo with little space as it is. The downstairs forms an L shape, with the kitchen being the small part and the dining/living room the longer part. We have all carpet except in the kitchen and bathrooms. Am I missing another obvious location for the litterbox? Then the thing is, if I have to get a second one, where would I put it so that the litter wouldn't get everywhere?

The other part of this is with where the cat can sleep. So far, we've not been able to determine where he sleeps when we are asleep, but he will not settle into any of the places we've determined for him. He likes soft bedding, but won't use it where we've put it. If it were up to him, he'd be in our bed or our daughter's. He could very well spend a lot of the night on our daughter's bed--the time we know he has, he wakes her up and won't let her sleep. She eventually has to come in our room and tell us to take him. We won't let him sleep in our room for that same reason, plus because the other day when we got him to sleep on our floor he pooped in our room in the middle of the night and proceeded to walk across my husband's head! I know my questions might sound silly, but I have no experience with cats prior to this--it's all completely new to me! I used to have dogs and birds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:01 AM

How old is the cat??? was it a feral cat? is the cat in good health otherwise? Cats can find the most unusual places to sleep. My kitties use to sleep in places where we couldnt find them, i would look all over the house for them and couldnt locate them then they would come out of an area I just looked in. The only problem I have ever had with a cat not using litterbox was my Riley who passed away from kidney failure and he would use the litter box but would also go on the carpet in our spare bedroom but he only did that right before he passed away.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

Where your cat sleeps isn't an issue for your cat. Cats will sleep wherever they please. Obviously your cat is sleeping somewhere and he's happy with the location. If you don't want him in the bedrooms, then close the doors. But it sounds like the main problem is that he's waking you up. That can be easily dealt with. There are a number of threads here with solutions. Here's one picked pretty much at random: https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=38326

Litterbox locations are always problems. It sounds like one of your main problems is locating the box so that litter doesn't get tracked all over. If he's happy using a covered box, then you might look into a Booda Dome, which has an anti-tracking ramp leading into the box, or a top-entry covered box which has an anti-tracking mat on top of the box. Although if your cat is a large cat, they may be too small for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 02:10 AM
Banned

Its pretty normal for cats to sleep where they like . My cat sleeps all over the place; chairs, under the bed, washroom, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page