Soft Claws Nail Caps? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 44
Soft Claws Nail Caps?

Has anyone ever tried Soft Claws Nail Caps or the like?
What was your experience with them?
tia
s_mitters is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 12:07 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 197
My experience has been Great...Except for I dont know how to get them off to change them!
lazzara8478 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 12:53 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,132
I've had no problems with them. Two of mine are wearing them. I have heard some people have problems with them not coming off, but mine have always fallen off naturally. They tend to fall off a couple at a time, so if you see snagging, you'll probably have to replace one or two. My boys had no problem adjusting, either - neither one tried to chew them off after the first application, and the next day they were jumping and climbing their kitty tower just like normal.
jessamica8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 44
I've done a little research & they sound like they might be a good option, but I'm slightly hestitant about a couple of things.
Believe me, if there is a will, my cat will find a way.

Kitty sometimes scratches a little raw place on himself (pea size). We keep his nails (front & back) trimmed, as he is an inside cat only.
We also use Revolution. He definately doesn't have fleas, mites, or a skin condition. He's just a scratcher.

If one of these caps get chewed off or fall off naturally, how harmful would it be if swallowed?
If by some chance the glue becomes exposed, is it toxic?
s_mitters is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Cat Addict
 
Nell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,485
I've been thinking about giving soft paws a try with Cheddar. I don't really have a problem with him scratching on things except for Sadie. He plays so rough that I've been finding nasty scabbed areas on her back from where he grabs her with his claws. I try to keep his nails constantly clipped, and it helps some, but not enough, so I'm thinking soft paws might keep him from doing so much damage to her soft skin.

Has anyone found an affordable place to buy them online?
Nell is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 02:21 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mitters
If by some chance the glue becomes exposed, is it toxic?
I think I've heard that they are non toxic if swallowed. It says on their websites that they are non toxic: http://www.softpaws.com/ http://www.softclaws.com/about.asp I don't know about the glue though. Maybe you can email them your questions.
DesnBaby is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 44
Great info.!!
I just emailed them. I'll let you guys know what I find out.
s_mitters is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 06:25 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 197
the glue is regular super glue which could be toxic...

heres where I buy mine from. theyre pretty cheap.
http://stores.ebay.com/TheCatandKittenStore
lazzara8478 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Senior Cat
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mo
Posts: 583
Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
I've used them on Sage for the past 3 years, as he an be obnoxious to the dogs I've never had a problem. They're supposed to fall off naturally.
I recommend them to my adoptive families if the need arises.
chaoticborders is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 44
"The adhesive that is used in NOT toxic and vet approved. Should your pet digest a nail cap, the cap is non toxic as well and will simply pass thru their system"

"the dried adhesive is actually inert (meaning, no chemical reactivity) but you do need to monitor your pet for a few minutes while the glue is drying to prevent possibly having the nail cap be pulled off before the adhesive dries and adhering to the fur on your pet."

Well, that sounds good enough for me.
s_mitters is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome