New Found Kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to aquino46
New Found Kitty

A friend of my boyfriend found 3 abandoned kittens last week. He managed to place 2 of them, but since people know I'm a big cat lover they suggested I kept one. Of course, how could I say no?

The problem is that the kitten is too small. When I adopted my Darcy I read every thing I could find on how to care for a kitten, but she was 3 months old when I adopted her. I find myself now on a different situation as this kitten is too small- maybe a month or so- and I know that ideally he should be with his mother. However, since no one knows where the mother is, I know I have to take extra care of this kitty, at least until it's a bit older.

Any suggestions?

I will post pictures of the baby as soon as I can.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 08:06 AM

You should really take the little one to a vets, make sure he/she is ok first. Then, if he is that young, you'll have to feed him a milk replacement for kittens until he learns to suckle watered down wet kitten food and eat kitten chow. You'll have to learn to "pee and poop" him too... good luck and let us know how he/she is doing!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Cool Cat

Thank you for taking the kitten in.
I agree about the vet visit ASAP. They wil be able to show you some of the things you need to know.
Check your PMs.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Premier Cat

Awww. Make sure you try bottle feeding him KMR formula. If he doesn't eat regular food he can go down hill very, very fast. He should be seen by the vet, he could be dehydrated or have numerous parasites that will keep him from gaining weight like he needs to.

Please post photos. It will help us to help you determine his approximate age. You may want to check out my posts in th " meet my kitty section titled the "Harry potter orphans" and I think the other one was "more pics of the orphans".

I also have been detailing progress and lack thereof, with the 5 kitten litter I have been bottlefeeding since approx. 2 weeks old. You find the thread in health in nutrition and it may help you if you read through it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to aquino46
I took the kitty to the vet this morning and he appears to be in good health. I made appointment for the kitten's first shots. He seems to be a month and a couple of weeks old.

Fortunately, when we picked him up from his foster home they told us he was already eating dry food so we bought him some and he's eating it all right.

Now that it is established that the kitten is in good health my concern is our bonding with him. He appears very distressed when we're around him. He hisses at us quite a lot and even growls. I want to give him his space and time to get used to his new surroundings. I hope that soon he'll be able to feel comfortable with us. I want to give him attention, but at the same time I don't want to overwhelm him.

I will post pictures if someone explains to me how to do so.

Thanks for your advice and concern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page