fire retardant chemicals and hyperthyroidism - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

fire retardant chemicals and hyperthyroidism

An interesting article in the paper this morning linking chemicals used to make flame retardant items in the home[furniture,carpets,televisions]to cats with hyperthyroidism.Apparently they found high levels of PBDEs in the blood of these cats
I had two cats with this disease when the second one was diagnosed the vet asked me laughingly if I lived under a power line, maybe it was not a joke.

Marie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Cool Cat

I live within 500 feet of an FAA Vortac (VOR/DME) tower. It's actually on my property. One of my vets is sure that it's the source of many of my animals' problems. Besides having had 7 cats and one horse with cancer, 4 cats and myself with immune system disorders, and myself and 3 horses with insulin resistance and hypothyroidism, my vets actually cringe when they see my name on the appointment list. When I take a cat in, it is very, very rarely something "normal", and quite often something thay have never seen before in a cat. One of the vets actually peeks in the door and says that (no offense) she hates to see me come in, because she feels so inadequate trying to figure out the problem, whatever it may be.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Cat

Cat Disease Linked To Flame Retardants In Furniture And To Pet Food

Cats ingest large amounts of PBDE-laden house dust that the researchers believe comes from consumer household products.

Science Daily — A mysterious epidemic of thyroid disease among pet cats in the United States may be linked to exposure to dust shed from flame retardants in household carpeting, furniture, fabrics and pet food, scientists are reporting in a new study.
Janice A. Dye, DVM, Ph.D., at the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency in Research Triangle Park, N.C., and colleagues from there as well as Indiana University and the University of Georgia, report evidence linking the disease to exposure to environmental contaminants called polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), which the researchers found to be elevated in blood samples of hyperthyroid cats.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 122354.htm

CatDad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page