bringing a puppy into a 2 cat household, problems? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

bringing a puppy into a 2 cat household, problems?

Hi,

I'm considering getting a puppy, maybe a bosten terrier or something similar. Anyone know if I'd run into any problems? My 2 cats are about 2 years old and are very close to me, I'd hate to lose the great relationship we have.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Senior Cat

Im not sure how bostons are with cats ... they are terriers and to be perfectly honest im wary of all terriers .... I have two boxers with my ten cats and have no problems at all.

Have a look at the breed specifics of the bostons and if they are okay then go for it. Prey drive etc

The main thing to remember is the cats are going to hate you for a while , and they need to know where they are safe from this "mutant" that you are allowing to invade their space.

Start your puppy with puppy school as soon as possible ... a trained puppy is easy when dealing with cats.

Do the introductions slowly and within a short while everyone should be fine.

My cats and dogs love each other .. its great to see

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Cool Cat

I would also be concerned with a terrier around cats - the prey drive in terriers is pretty strong strong in the couple of them I know (maybe it's just them?).

With a puppy, you're going to have to be on guard all of the time the pup is around the cats. "No" and "off" are critical commands. The cats will need lots of high "escape" places. When you leave, be sure the puppy is crated - for the safety of the pup and the cats.

Good luck.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:13 AM

The other posters have told you correctly. Bostons (and other terriers) are not know for their tolerance of other animals.

Bostons have bull dog and french bull dog in them as well (in the original creation of the breed) and are often quite tenascious.

Then again, the breed of dog that I chose to add to my household is known for cat chasing. However, because my pup grew up with a cat and because our new kittens were very carefully introduced to her, we've had no problems.

If you are dead set on a terrier, you'll just have to work extra hard to make sure that they dogs and the cats get along.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a more pet friendly breed like poodles, spaniels, etc.

To introduce them properly, most people seem to say to introduce them one sense at at time, usually by smell firstly. That means that you'd have to put the puppy in its own room and keep the door closed (and/or buy a baby gate) and keep him/her separate from your cats for about a day or two.

Rub a blanket on the dog and put it where the cats sleep. Rub a blanket on your cats and put it where your puppy sleeps.

I've also heard to feed both by the door so that they'll associate each other's scents with pleasurable sensations such as food and being full.

Keep initial face to face introductions short and sweet. You don't want to stress your cats or your puppy. Make sure that the puppy is on a leash in case anything happens (if she gets scratched by a kitty, you'll want to be able to catch her. If she starts chasing a kitty, you'll want to be able to correct her and you can't do that if you can't catch her).

Good luck!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Premier Cat

I have found that you have to have places where the cats can go and have peace from the dogs, especially during the puppy stage. Every room in our house has at least one place like that, and luckily, they have the whole basement to themselves.

Training of the dog is key, so that even if they get a wild hair and go chasing after the cat (but Mom, he was teasing me) you have enough control to make the dog stop and return to you.

It is vital to get a dog that doesn't have a high prey drive. When you should be able to tell to some extent when you go to the breeder to meet the puppy. Some breeders will even introduce cats to the puppies from the time they are newborns, so the dog just considers them part of the family.

Good luck. My dogs and cats get along great, for the most part.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Senior Cat

Ken I have just seen in your avatar how your Siamese is lying

That is priceless...

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice, I don't think I 'll get a terrier. Anyone know if pugs or puggles get along well with cats, are there any other small dog breeds I should look into?

That picture of my cats was taken when they were kittens, my boy doesn't lay like that anymore, I guess he grew out of the I want to be like a human phase.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernuts
Thanks for all the advice, I don't think I 'll get a terrier. Anyone know if pugs or puggles get along well with cats, are there any other small dog breeds I should look into?

That picture of my cats was taken when they were kittens, my boy doesn't lay like that anymore, I guess he grew out of the I want to be like a human phase.
We had a terrier once - and out of the three dogs we had at the time (he died, the other two are still around but very old) - he was the one that was most affectionate towards the cats.

I think its less to do with the breed and much more to do with the nature of the individual dog.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Premier Cat

How about some updated pics of your cats, for a fellow meezer lover.

As for the dog, I think breed, temperment of the individual dog and training all play an equal role a dog being capable of living harmoniously with cats.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddFran
As for the dog, I think breed, temperment of the individual dog and training all play an equal role a dog being capable of living harmoniously with cats.
I agree. I adopted 2 adult cats into my home with 2 adult dogs. My dogs are Miniature Dachshunds (they're only 8 & 10 lbs, so the cats are bigger than the dogs are). My dogs were already well trained and well behaved, and we didn't have any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page