Cats and screened porches? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Cats and screened porches?

I am thinking about screening in my back patio, and I was also thinking the cats would enjoy a couple of cat trees out there to watch birds and whatnot. If any of you have a screened porch, do you have any problems with your cats climbing or scratching the screens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Premier Cat

I have a screened in balcony and haven't had any problems. They LOVE it! I used fine deer netting instead of screening though because you can see through it better. But it won't stop bugs from getting in.

Victoria
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:08 AM
Premier Cat

My screened in porch was the best invest I made in the house. I put a cat door out to it. I have put my cat boxes out there! So none of the box smell in the house.

So far my cats have shown no interest in climbing the screens. I heard there is a cat screen which is more durable. I put in the small holed screen which "noseeums" knats cant get thru.

My guys are out there day and night. Its a nice change of scene and help with boredom. Lots to watch out there or just take a midnight snooze.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:00 AM
Premier Cat

I think your kitties would love a screened porch. I have seen screen made for animals at places like Home Depot.

If you do build the porch I would love to see picutres.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:22 AM

i have a screen room around my pool and the cats love it and they do not try and climb it. it will be a very good investment for you and the kitties
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:18 AM

The "cat screening" made for windows etc, is apparently very awesome and not alot more expensive than normal screening. Because it's outdoors, you may appreciate a heavier screening when or if kitties start jumping or climbing for outside bugs !!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Yup, I was thinking about putting the litter boxes out there w/ a cat door too. My house has no good place for them, which, believe it or not, is one of the reasons I've been trying to sell it, along with just needing a bit more room. It's been for sale now for months though, and DH and I decided to give it until we get back from vacation in mid September, then we're taking it off the market. We are going to make some improvements instead, the screened patio being one, and new floors. I'll let you all know how it goes.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

I have a screened porch and the kitties love it, particularly Holly. She spends hours on end out there. Torn screens can be an issue, usually small but after a few years they need to be replaced. I have replaced some of the lower ones with pet screening and they are not showing any signs of 'abuse'. So I would recommend using it.

One caution....My porch is screened right down to the floor, but it's really a deck raised off the ground by 3 feet. I had an issue one time where my neighbors cat came up the steps and tried to fight with one of my cats through the screen. I replaced that screen panel with plexi glass so it couldn't happen again. So if you have any concerns about neighborhood cats you might want to end the screening a few feet off the ground.

Oh...and a ceiling fan is a nice addition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

I'll look into the pet screen.....we do have a cat that comes over to visit, that lives three houses down. So far they don't fight, they just look at eachother through the windows, but you never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page